Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simidene Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Paint estimating
    I have found that the per sg ft estimate that some have been giving is on the low side I have been told to estimate between 1.50-4.50 sq/ft. Anyone out there agree. I was told this is what the unions charge?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Are those prices that you are listing including the product used? To me, it would seem that they would have to be.

It does depend on where you live, how much you want to work and also the type of surface area to be painted. There are also other variables that could come into play with the pricing that I could elaborate on if you would like.

If you charge too much then there is the possibility that you might not get the job. Any of the prices that I have given on this site for the price per square foot for painting have been based on the going rates around where I live for painting primarily perfectly flat surfaces on inside walls and trim. I am sure that the prices in much larger metropolitan areas would be somewhat higher. Also, the prices that I have given have not included the cost of the product used. The cost of the product used makes a huge difference in the price per square foot once you figure it in. I don't include the cost of the product in my labor estimate because the cost of the product and how much product is going to be used will vary depending on the type of surface area to be painted and the sheen of the paint that is to be used.

Have to be competitive and make yourself indispensable to the customer. I will go so far as to actually drive a customer to the store to purchase the paint that will be used and also so that the customer will know that the high quality paint that I said that I am going to use is exactly what I am using. There are some painters out there that will promise a certain kind of paint and then put cheap paint into cans that had expensive paint in them. I paint under written and signed contract and won't guarantee my work unless we use the types of paints that I specify after consultation with the customer and with the best interests of the customer in mind.

Feb 20, 2008, 03:01 PM
    I am a painting contractor and I charge 2-4.50sq/ft that's with all included. I just can not see how one can make any money charging .60 sq.ft if you have workers one will never survive
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Originally Posted by simidene
    I am a painting contractor and I charge 2-4.50sq/ft that's with all included. I just can not see how one can make any money charging .60 sq.ft if you have workers one will never survive
    Where is the post where someone indicating charging .60 cents per square foot? I charge .70 cents, and that's for two coats and does not include the product or any priming or other preparation that needs to be done. .70 cents is the going rate around where I live and also work. Also, I do work by myself. But, if I had someone working with me, the job would be done faster and I don't think that I would need to charge anymore than I do. I would certainly be underbid by others if I did charge more. Where are you located, please?

Feb 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
    chicago! Say .70sq/ft x 1200 sq/ft if you put two coats that would be roughly 1680.00 if you have to pay workers 15-20hr that's 240.00 a day for two people.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I'm wondering if we are understanding one another completely here. As I have already indicated in my posts, the .70 cents per square foot is for two, complete coats and does not include the product or any priming or other preparation that needs to be done. So, the cost for labor would be $840.00 for 1,200 square feet. I am sure that the cost would be somewhat more in Chicago. Also, my costs I have indicated are for perfectly smooth surface areas using a roller and cutting-in the edges with a brush.

What do you charge per linear foot when you paint using a brush on trim, please? Most painters would charge a different price for that.

Feb 20, 2008, 03:43 PM
    trim 1.50-2.00. My total is inluding prep,materials etc and labor. If I am paying workers x2
    240.00 a day that's close to 500.00 for two days in labor. Roughly 100-125 in paint, that's roughly 650.00 so one would walk out with roughly 200.00 that's not counting all other variables.

Feb 20, 2008, 03:49 PM
    you have to make at least what you pay out in labor plus counting yourself whether you are on the job or not. So 15 +15+30.00 that's about 60 hr x 8 that's 480 a day in labor

Feb 20, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Around here most people to cover costs, insurance, travel, etc need to figure at about 65-75 an hour.

Feb 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
    With workers oaky?
    sonnyfresh Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2008, 07:00 AM
    When you charge by the square ft. is that floor area or walls and ceiling area?
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnyfresh
    When you charge by the square ft. is that floor area or walls and ceiling area?
    Hello, sonnyfresh!

Is your question above meant to be about painting that you would do and not meant as a reply to the original poster who started this thread?

Thanks!

Clough
    sonnyfresh Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2008, 05:42 AM
    I'll take both answers and I'm still waiting for your answer on the other forum "cleaning VFW"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Estimating painting exterior [ 2 Answers ]

Do you estimate exterior of house the same way as interior? By the square foot. Also is cost of the paint included in the estimate?

Biding and estimating paint jobs in my area. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to start my own business. I would like to know how to find the going rates on interior and exterior paint jobs in my area. Thanks, Travis

Painting estimating [ 1 Answers ]

When pricing painting jobs by the square foot. What is the proper way to measure? For both interior and exterior. I starting my own business and would like to price by the square foot method. Thank you for any help and ideas.

View more questions Search