Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bayamon39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 11:55 AM
    DSL Connection by Verizon Router and DHCP
    We have a dsl connection to the verizon westell router/firewall. I want to have the best access possible using desktop remote(DR). What would be the best course of connection when setting up these PCs and Server. I want to setup the server to control dhcp and Active directory. We are getting one(1) static IP.
    [ ] Will the router/firewall prevent me from setting up dhcp at the server?
    [ ] Where do we set the static IP - at the router or server?
    [ ] If the static IP goes to the router, will IP fwd be the only way to access the server via DR, and other pc's from the server at that configuration?

Server - Dell power edge 830 - with Windows server 2003
    All Pc's are win xp pro

[ ] What is the best gear to use here a switch or hub - behind the router?
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 20, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Hello,

What is the model number of the Westell unit? Did Verizon provide you with that extra IP address? What level of DSL service did you get and are you sure it will be sufficient for the application you are describing? The reason I am asking is because most of the DSL units from Verizon are usually modems and I personally had problems with the stability of Verizon's 768k service.
    NutleyIT Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bayamon39
    We have a dsl connection to the verizon westell router/firewall. I want to have the best access possible using desktop remote(DR). What would be the best course of connection when setting up these PCs and Server. I want to setup the server to control dhcp and Active directory. We are getting one(1) static IP.
    [ ] Will the router/firewall prevent me from setting up dhcp at the server?
    [ ] Where do we set the static IP - at the router or server?
    [ ] If the static IP goes to the router, will IP fwd be the only way to access the server via DR, and other pc's from the server at that configuration?

Server - Dell power edge 830 - with Windows server 2003
    All Pc's are win xp pro

[ ] What is the best gear to use here a switch or hub - behind the router?
    One Problem I came across in our office. I needed to brige the Modem with my Netgear VPN Firewall and Verizon told me that the designed these westel so you could not bridge them. This was aproblem for me because the modem keeps the address 192.168.1.1 and I needed to bridge the 2 devices. I was told by netgear that the VPN will not work unless the devices are bridged properly. I dropped Verizon and went with Optimimun Boost. Im not sure if this will help you but I know I will never come across this issue again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verizon DSL, Linksys router connection issues [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the...

Wireless dsl router [ 3 Answers ]

I'Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem and I would like to know which of these 2 wireless routers would be best for me to buy(a Netgear WRG614 wireless router or a 2Wire 2700HG wireless router?Which 1 is better anyway?

Connecting laptaop to my DSL router [ 1 Answers ]

I have Qwest DSL with moden and wireless light is on in modem but my laptaop does connect, I show three connections with X's through them

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search