Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waqassiddiqui Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Probability related questions
    Q-1 A box contains 500 envelopes of which 75 contain $100 in cash, 150 contain $25 , and 275 contain $10. An envelope may be purchased for $25. What is the sample space for the different amounts of money? Assign probabilities to the sample points and then find the probability that the first envelope purchased contains less than $100.

Q-2 Suppose that in a senior college class of 500 students it is found that 210 smoke, 258 drink alcoholic beverages, 216 eat between meals, 122 smoke and drink alcoholic beverages, 83 eat between meals, and drink alcoholic beverages, 97 smoke and eat between meals, and 52 engage in all three of these bad health practices. If a member of this senior class is selected at random, find the probability that the student.
    (a) smokes but does not drink alcoholic beverages;
    (b) eats between meals and drinks alcoholic beverages but does not smoke;
    (c) neither smokes nor eats between meals.

Q-3 The probability that and American industry will locate in Munich is 0.7, the probability that it will locate in Brussels is 0.4, and the probability that it will locate in either Munich and Brussels or both is 0.8. What is the probability that the industry will locate
    (a) In both cities?
    (b) In neither city?

Q-4 From past experiences a stockbroker believes that under present economic conditions a customer will invest in tax-free bonds with a probability of 0.6, will invest in mutual funds with a probability of 0.3, and will invest in both tax-free bonds and mutual funds with a probability of 0.15. At this time, find the probability that a customer will invest.
    (a) In either tax-free bonds or mutual funds;
    (b) In neither tax-free bonds nor mutual funds.

Q-5 If a letter is chosen at random from the English alphabet, find the probability that the letter
    (a) Is a vowel exclusive of y;
    (b) Is listed somewhere a head of the letter j;
    (c) Is listed somewhere after the letter g.

Q-6 An automobile manufacturer is concerned about a possible recall of their best-selling four-dour sedan. If there were a recall, there is 0.25 probablity that a defect is in the brake system, 0.18 in the transmission, 0.17 in the fuel system, and 0.40 in some other area.

Q-7 If each coded item in a catalog begins with 3 distinct letters followed by 4 distinct nonzero digits,find the probability of randomly selecting one of these coded items with the first letter a vowel and the last digit even.

Q-8 Two cards are drawn in succession from a deck without replacement. What is the probability that both cards are greater than 2 and less than 8?

Q-9 If 3 books are picked at random from a shelf containing 5 novels, 3 books of poems, and a dictionary, what is the probability that
    (a) The dictionary is selected?
    (b) 2 novels and 1 book of poems are selected?

Q-10 In a poker hand consisting of 5 cards, find the probability of holding
    (a) 3 acres;
    (b) 4 hearts and 1 club.

Q-11 In a game of yahtzee, where 5 dice are tossed simultaneously, find the probability of getting 4 of a kind.

Q-12 In a high school graduating class of 100 students, 54 studied mathematics, 69 studied history, and 35 studied both mathematics and history. If one of these students is selected at random, find the probability that
    a. The student took mathematics or history;
    b. The students did not take either of these subjects;
    c. The student took history but not mathematics.

Q-13 Dom`s Pizza Company uses taste testing and ststistical analysisof the data prior to marketing any new product. Consider a study involving three types of crusts (thin, thin with garlic and oregano, and thin with bits of cheese). They are also studying three sauces, (standard, a new sauce with more garlic, and a new sauce with fresh basil).
    a) How many combinations of crust and sauce are involved?
    b) What is the probability that a judge will get a plain thin crust with a standard sauce for his first taste test?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:16 AM
    What do you think? Tell us, and we will tell you if you are correct.

Feb 20, 2008, 10:19 AM
    In question 8
    I think the probability is 5*4=20
    but the answer is 95/663
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
    I replied about #8 in your other post.

Feb 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Q-11 In a game of yahtzee, where 5 dice are tossed simultaneously, find the probability of getting 4 of a kind.

My Solution

5 dice tosses

Let n be any number from 1-6, here we require 4 number of a kind

1,1,1,1,n
    2,2,2,2,n
    3,3,3,3,n
    4,4,4,4,n
    5,5,5,5,n
    6,6,6,6,n

n change its position in 5 ways
    so total possibilites 5 x 6

Probability = 5 x 6 = 30

Am I Right.. Becz I don't know the answer of this question... check my solution
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
    It depends on the game situation and the player's strategy on re-rolling.

There are 150 ways of getting a four of a kind. You HAVE to consider order. Take the following simple example:

The probability of getting a 2 and a 3 is greater than getting two fives if you DO NOT consider order. This is because the either die#1 can be a 2 and die#2 can be a 3 or die#2 can be a 3 and die#1 can be a 2.

So, for a four of a kind, it will be C(6,1) * C(5,4) * C(5,1) * C(1,1) = 150

Feb 20, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Can you explain in detail
    I'm trying to getting your point but all in vain...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax related questions [ 1 Answers ]

If my daughter turned 18 in May, 2007 and graduated from High School in June & lived with me for half the year, can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes? Also - Is her college tuition for the second half of 2007 a tax write-off for me?

Questions related customer care [ 3 Answers ]

How would you handle a customer who used abusive language

Many Questions related to H1 - Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Tax Experts, I have many un answered questions. Any help by answering them is highly appreciated. 1) I am full time for a consulting company A (I get 5 day leave, 5 sick leave and paid for US holidays only 6 days, and 50% of the medical benefits for family ). And this...

View more questions Search