Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wesjohn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Windows Based Machines Losing Network Connection
    For the past month and a half (maybe longer) I've had a problem with Windows boxes on my network losing connection. I've replaced an ancient switch (10 yrs old, 10mbps), the Sonicwall, yet the problem still persists.

This network is mostly used for public access in our library. They are mostly XP machines, however, there are a handful of Win98 boxes that it has plagued as well. There is no rhyme or reason to when the machines lose connection... it's fairly sporadic.

The only way to temporarily solve the problem is to uninstall and reinstall the NIC driver. This fixes it for an intermittent amount of time

I'm fairly new to networking at this is driving me insane! The hub is probably next on my replace list.

Could this be a DNS virus? Someone mentioned this and I've found out about DNS changers. I just ran an AVG Pro scan under diagnostic mode in XP and haven't found anything. It has happened on computers used by staff only which makes me think it is probably not a virus. However, I thought perhaps this could be spreading all over the network. Any scanners you'd recommend?

Someone told me to try and unplug everything from the hub and go straight into the router. I only have four ports, though, so that might not work.

Our wired network is all that is affected by this. Wireless is perfect.
    gilton Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Your hub may be the first reason, secondly scan your entire network node for virus. Recommended scanner is MacAfee sdat file, you can download it from this link

McAfee, Inc. - Downloads - Virus Protection - DAT Files

Download the latest sdatxx.exe from Superdat TAB.
    TechEmperor Posts: 93, Reputation: 8

Feb 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Odd, I though I already posted to this thread. Anyway. The common point of failure among the machines is their hardwired LAN connection. Change the device they are all plugged in to and your issue should be resolved.

Feb 22, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TechEmperor
    Odd, I though I already posted to this thread. Anyways. The common point of failure among the machines is their hardwired LAN connection. Change the device they are all plugged in to and your issue should be resolved.
    The linksys is the only thing left to replace. I hate to buy more equipment without knowing, but, unless a miracle happens, I guess I'll have to.

Feb 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
    You could try borrowing a switch from someone before buying a new one.

Feb 22, 2008, 12:47 PM
    We already replaced our switch. When I said Linksys, I meant the router... sorry for not specifying. It's a higher quality Linksys router than the home ones, however, I see it has a bad rep on the net.

The guy that we buy our hardware from is going to come take a look on Tuesday. He's going to bring another router to try.

Feb 22, 2008, 12:51 PM
    That sounds like the way to go then. Test it out and see. It almost HAS to be the router since the wireless machines are working fine.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Do the wired machines use a static or dynamic IP address?

If dynamic, low long is the lease?

If Dynamic, change lease time to a year or switch to a static address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing network [ 1 Answers ]

2 PCs running WinXP, connected via crossover UTP cable. One conecting to an Internet using cable modem, other supposed to connect through first computer. I setup the network successfully all works, IC sharing, file transfer, printer sharing... And yesterday just BANG, network disappears without any...

Regarding network connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have connected both of my PCs though switch. I can share the data but I can not access internet on both the PCs at a time. Only one PC can use internet at a time. I have connected router to switch. I have IP adds & DNS IPs. But I do not have gateway adds. How could I connect both PCs to...

Network Connection [ 4 Answers ]

I am having problems adding a new PC to an existing network. They are all using XP and have used the Network Setup Wizard. I've also checked the IP addresses and there are no duplicates, the computer name is unique. I am using a wireless connection. Thanks, Ruth

View more questions Search