Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1bub2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 06:55 AM
    I received 1099 and w2 from my employer
    I received a 1099 from my employer for whom I drove truck for last year. It said I was paid just under 12,000. I also received a w2 and my wages were under 2,000 and showed deductions. The only pay stubs I received from that employer were with the last 3 checks I received from that employer. The 3 pay stubs reflected the info on the w2. Before that I was just getting a check and didn't worry about pay stubs because it is a small company and I figured they didn't have the proper computer payroll software to print me a pay stub but then after about 6 months they were able to print paystubs. I don't understand what the 1099 is all about. Did this employer not take out the proper deductions from my pay? Isn't it an employers responsibility to take out deductions, and pay unemployment and labor and industries insurances? I suspect this employer has pocketed the deductions, did not pay insurances and at year end is treating me like I was a sub-contractor by sending me this 1099. This has really hosed me trying to do my taxes. How can employers get away with doing this kind of thing? What can I do about this? I do not have a contractors license or business to where I can have enough deductions to alleviate paying so much in to the IRS.
    What can I do about this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2008, 07:03 AM
    The first question is what salary were you hired out and did the checks you received (before the last 3) reflect that salary. If they did, then nothing was withheld and they were paying you as a contractor.

What it sounds like to me is that you were hired as a independent contractor (not atypical for truckers), but, for some reason, they changed you to a salaried position at the end of the year.

If your checks were less than the full amount they agreed to pay, then you will have to prove it and go back to them and ask what happened to the rest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-S Overstates Amount received for Real Estate Sale [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I in partnership with another individual sold a commercial property this past May. It was an investment that went sour. The property sold for $480k. Hubby and I received $63k, Partner received $53k, our Realtor got about $25k, not sure what was paid to attorney, about $16-18k went...

1099 from previous employer [ 3 Answers ]

I started working for the new employer in 3rd week of November 2007. And my H1-B transfer is still in process - i.e.. Status pending. My previous employer did not pay me for the last 2 weeks, until Jan 2008. He sent me check for $2000 (from company's name). He says that he will issue me a 1099. So...

Received a W2 and 1099 from same employer? [ 1 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can shed some light on an unusal tax situation. My husband has been with the same company for 4 1/2 years. Each pay period he receives one paycheck from his employer. For the past 3 1/2 years, he has always received one W2 for his earnings. For some reason this year is...

I received an 1099 misc from an employer [ 5 Answers ]

I Received A 1099 Misc Form From An Employer Where Do I Report This Income ,I Usually Use The 1040 A Form Can I Still Use This Form? I Am A Us Citizen

View more questions Search