Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Feb 19, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Curious about Language in Answer
    Here is another question. I am working on the answer and defenses on a debt collector suit. Is it necessary to use all the legalease wording like references to the "Plaintiff" and myself as "Defendant", etc. in the answer?

When I stopped by our little country towns courthouse and talked to one of the employees, she said the judges there didn't care how the answer was prepared, it could be done on a piece of cardboard as long as the handwriting was legible. So do I use the fancy language I find in many samples or should I be the layman that I am and answer like someone without much legal knowledge would do. Is it wrong to refer to myself as "I"? I don't want to appear like I know much, maybe the judge won't challenge me too roughly, you think?

For instance, here is a general denial paragraph posed in both options:

Defendant has no knowledge of the factual basis of this allegation, and therefore denies same and demands strict proof thereof.

or

I have no knowledge of the factual basis of this allegation, therefore I deny and demand strict proof thereof.

Here is a example of what I am suggesting in the affirmative defenses:

Defendant claims Lack of Privity as Defendant has never entered into any contractual or debtor/creditor arrangements with the Plaintiff.

or

I claim lack of Privity as I have never entered into any contractual or debtor/creditor arrangements with the Plaintiff.

I know this is a dum post, but I feel overly scholared when using the canned responses but if they are recommended, I will use them.

Thanks again, I am on the road to finishing this mess!
    B

Check out some similar questions!

How to change language in 'Regional and Language Options' without restarting? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there! On windows I have to work on 3 languages, Japanese, English and Thai. Some programs I use don't work on Thai-English windows, so I have to switch the window language to Japanese-English in 'Regional and Language Options' and it restart every time. There's any ways to set window...

Curious [ 2 Answers ]

Just curious. I know that they say you can't feel the baby move until about your 4th month, but I could swear there are times I feel slight movements, that feel different then gas. With my son, I didn't feel him till 4 months, but I have heard that in subsequent pregnancies, you feel movement...

Curious [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, my significant other and I had intercourse about 3 weeks ago. We didn't bother to use protection because he said in the beginning of our relationship that the doctor told him he was sterile, but they never actually performed a sperm count on him. Well about 2 weeks after we had intercourse...

First language literacy and second language litera [ 1 Answers ]

What are the differences between first language literacy and second language literacy?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.