Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notme123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 06:15 PM
    theft under $5000.00 x10
    Hello,

My child has been issued a promise to appear for 10 counts of theft under $5000.00.
    It is my child's first ''documented'' offense.

My child has stolen to buy drugs and has admitted that. What I would like to know is what can the punishment be? I would like to see my child get the much needed help through rehabilitation vs probation or a slap on the hand. I would like the system to recognize my child is a very high risk teenager using highly addictive drugs. ( I have documentation of that since my child has been in rehab at the age of 15 and has since consulted often and has never accepted to go to rehab since the age of 16)

I feel this is my only chance to get the much needed help, therapy and rehabilitation program so that my child can become a contributing adult with a healthy lifestyle.

I have contacted a lawyer and was told that until this first court date, there is nothing that can be done. Have I been misled? How can the system work for the best interest of the child?

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 06:25 PM
    You need to let the Lawyer and the Judge know he needs serious intervention.

Feb 19, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    You need to let the Lawyer and the Judge know he needs serious intervention.
    I have been to talk to a probation officer and brought him a two inch thick folder containing my child's documented drug use. I also gave a letter of recommendation from a psychiatrist at the Toronto's Sick Children hospital stating that... and I quote the Dr. ''I would also keep in mind the opportunity that charges for criminal behaviour, if it occurs, might provide for placement in a private treatment center''

I saw what would come a long time ago and have been through numerous therapies for my child but since the age of 16 it is his choice to seek help and my child has refused all the help - because at 16 they know what is best for them :confused: -

It is a very sad day when we call ''charges for criminal behaviour'' and opportunity and that the parent of the defendant would rather be sitting behind the Crown attorney.

I just want what is best for my child and proper treatment is what is needed at this point. I know that if this goes almost unpunished, society will have to deal with yet another repeat offender and that is not the life I wished upon my child when I gave birth. I love my child too much to see all the struggles ahead.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Unfortunately that is the way the system has gotten. Here in the US I see so many people get off with a slap on the wrist and they have committed several felony's and that doesn't even include their drug dealings. The guy across the street from me, last June alone, got a DUI, smacking his son and 'terroristic threats', bought three vehicles with bad checks (they got repoed two months later), bad checks to Wal Marts, bad checks to the Pizza place. All he has is a leg 'bracelet' and isn't suppose to leave the house. His teen age son sits at home smoking pot and drinking. The police know and do NOTHING.

Unfortunately too, most people that go through rehab come out and go right back to it.
    Yet I am sure it is better to put him through the programs than let him continue the way he has been. Here in the US some Judges put out of control kids through a boot camp which they claim helps more kids than most other things.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notme123
    Have I been misled?
    Hello not:

If you think the justice system is where you'll find help, you certainly have been. The justice system dispenses justice, not help, and justice ain't pretty. If you want help, you'll have to find it in the private sector.

Do your best to keep him out. Really!

I don't know if your lawyer is telling you the truth. If you doubt him, fire him and find one you trust, and then follow his instructions impeccably. You don't need to hire just anybody. There's dozens of great attorney's out there.

excon

Feb 19, 2008, 08:15 PM
    Thanks all for your answers!

excon, I want him in the private sector (help wise) but because of his age, he can refuse treatment for a huge drug addiction that IMO, could one day cost him his life!

In this part of Canada, since the age is over 16, nobody but a judge can order and enforce rehabilitation... that is what I am trying to get through to the probation officer who can then relate that to the Crown Attorney and hopefully the judge will see!

I can't really go over that with my lawyer since he represents my child and my child does not want rehabilitation, my child wants to quit school and move away... see how complicated that is. So going over that with my child's lawyer is out of the question... he will do as his client wants - my child- !

I will see how the first court goes, probably will just be put off to a later date !

I think I might start to do some lobbying to change the age that a child can decide what is best for them... I don't know who the heck decided to give a 16 year old the right to move away from home yet, if he/she steals the parents are responsible until they are 18 years old... :confused:

Quite the legal system we have going for us.

I will keep you posted as I know there will be more to add at a later date... I just hope this one turns out to be a happy success story and not a tragic one.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Forced rehab almost never works, a drug user will stop only when they really want. And the next larger issue is once they get rehabed if they do, they have to move and not be around old friends and the such, or they normally just get right back in to it.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 08:59 PM
    All too true BUT many times even when they move away they look for and attract the same people unless they are really serious about staying clean.

Feb 20, 2008, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    forced rehab almost never works, a drug user will stop only when they really want. And the next larger issue is once they get rehabed if they do, they have to move and not be around old friends and the such, or they normally just get right back in to it.
    What you say is true. I just want him safe... I will see how this goes and hope for the best.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Feb 20, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Well, my child asked the judge that his court be remitted in another town at a later date... and it was approved. What the heck king of judge would allow a 17 years old to leave home, and not finish high school... I am so frustrated right now!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

l was wondering when you get caught, the store sapposivly sends u a bill for x amount. L was wondering when l'll get it cause its been almost 1 month.. wondering if it got lost during tansit.

Theft Over $5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 16 year old male, who has broken the law for the second time. I have committed the crime of theft over $5000. My court date is June 28th 2007. I am not some Gangbanger or bad who looks rebellious, I am just an ordinary teen who you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at me or talking to me...

Theft Over $5000 [ 3 Answers ]

This is my second offence, although the first offence I was not charged. First offence happened over seven years ago. The total amount of money stolen was over $15,000. Refunds to debit cards and credit cards. I intelligently planned out how I could steal the money and not get caught. All in...

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft under 5000 [ 21 Answers ]

Sorry this may be really long. Please help and reply. Okay this is my first post because I am really worrying about this thing. I stole a Playstation Portable from a student at my school. I sold it to another student at my school. It doesn't really matter now but the Principals found out. In...

View more questions Search