Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cass_i_dee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Breast feeding diet.
    Will it affect my baby's breast milk if I take my prenatial vit. And DHA pills and not eat very much?:confused:
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Omg, please do not do that!! Prenatal vitamins are a supplement; they do not contain everything your body needs. If you're not eating properly, your body will not be getting the nutrients that it needs, which means your baby won't be getting the nutrients s/he needs.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 04:48 PM
    You do need to eat. Healthy food. Generally no chocolate or spices - but talk to your doctor. There is a list of avoidable foods AND medicines/over the counter/supplements that should not be taken if you are breastfeeding.

You have to keep your nutrition up - for you and the baby. You are not going to be gaining weight if you eat right and breast feed.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I have to ask, is there a specific reason for wanting to do this?

I have patients constantly asking me if it's safe to go on diet pills when they're pregnant. My answer is: If it's not safe to drink caffeine when you're nursing... what makes you think taking diet pills will be OK?

Take in proper nutrition, feed yourself, and if you're concerned about the weight, take yoga classes and even pilates, and watch your soda/chocolate/chips intake.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I think you could still take the vitamins and you can definitely take dha Breastfeeding mom's diet: DHA and omega-3 fats in breast milk enhance baby's brain development
    Is good for the baby but you HAVE to eat good.
    catherineandlanden Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 09:51 PM
    You have too eat n order for your body to give thebaby what s/he needs
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I have patients constantly asking me if it's safe to go on diet pills when they're pregnant. My answer is: If it's not safe to drink caffeine when you're nursing...what makes you think taking diet pills will be ok?
    Actually, they've done new studies that show women who are already a few months pregnant are not doing any harm to their baby if they only have a cup or 2 of coffee on a daily basis.

I know all bodies are different and that the same advice doesn't work for everyone, but the truth of the matter is that I drank coffee everyday that I breast fed and I ate what I wanted to(in regards to spices and so forth). My little girl never had colic, she never got fussy about eating, and she was perfect on the growth chart... but like I said, not all bodies are the same.

All that aside, you still need to be eating. You can't just eliminate food because you're afraid of gaining weight; all you'd be doing is harming both your body and your baby. Both need nutrition which comes from food. I wouldn't worry so much about "caloric intake"; they recommend consuming more calories to compensate for the milk production. I just ate until I was full and then repeated *lol*
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 20, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Breastfeeding can burn 500 calories a day! As everyone else mentioned, please don't cut your calories. If you eat healthy calories (plenty of dark green and orange fruits and veg, and brown rice are great for breastfeeding mothers) and take a prenatal vitamin you and baby will be doing just fine.

I hope you are not worried about losing weight. Look at that baby--you did that! Your amazing body just made a beautiful baby! Enjoy your baby and appreciate your accomplishment!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Yeah I lost a lot of weight breastfeeding. I was down to 100 pounds and size 20 waist. But I wasn't quite 120 after my baby was born

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I pregnant if breast feeding? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 month baby I breast feed her 2-3 times rest I give her formula milk , am 7 days late on my periods the HCG strip test came out negative why am I not getting my periods? Am I pregnant?

Infections through breast feeding [ 7 Answers ]

What are the possible infections or diseases a breast feeding mother could pass onto a child? Infections like measles,oral infections,urine infections,yeast,colds,fevers etc, any possibility of such passing to the baby through the breast feeding? I do not have an infection or a disease,but just...

Problems breast-feeding [ 3 Answers ]

My question is how do I know if I have a clogged milk duct... I've been breast-feeding a little over 8 months and yesterday morning my left breast began to get really sore and I've feed more off it thinking it was too full but its still reallly sore... its only on my left breast on the botton a...

Diet/Feeding for kittens [ 1 Answers ]

I have three male kittens that are now ten months old. I've been feeding the boys quite a lot and when they were weighed at the vets yesterday for deworming meds they were 11, 9.4 & 9.1 pounds. Is this too much for that age? Their dad (feral tom who hangs around outside is a pretty big fella,...

Drinking alcohol while breast-feeding? [ 24 Answers ]

My friend has a 2 month old baby boy. She is breastfeeding. She never drank while she was pregnant but since she has had baby she has been drinking 3-4 times a week (that I know of). She even drank a beer while she was breast feeding... Is this bad or does it not affect the baby..? If it is...

View more questions Search