Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MilitaryMan19D30 Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Feb 19, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Right ascension declination explanation
    Can someone explain in really simple terms (like I was a kid) what right ascension declination is :confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Right ascension and declination are the components of a coordinate system that are used to identify the position of celestial objects in the sky. They are very similar in concept to longitude and latitude on the earth's surface. It is convenient to think of the earth as sitting at the center of a great hollow sphere, and the celestial objects are being pinned to the inside surface of that sphere. This is not reality of course- all the stars and planets, etc are at widely varying distances from earth. But when you look up at the night sky it definitely appears that way. Hence RA and declination tell you where an object is on the inside surface of that sphere, but do not tell you how far away from us that object is.

As the earth rotates is appears to us like we are standing still and the celestial sphere is rotating above us, as if it was spinning on an axis. The axis intersects the sphere at the north and south poles. These two points are directly above the earth's north and south poles. Midway in between is the celestial equator, which again is directly above the earth's equator.

Declination is measured in degrees north or south of the equator, similar to latitude on the earth's surface. The north celestial pole is +90 degrees declination and the south pole is -90 degrees. Objects on the equator are at 0 degrees declination.

Right ascension is the analog of longitude - it measures the angular distance of the object to the left or right of a defined point on the equator (just as longitude is measured from the Greenwich meridian on earth). One difference is that the angular distance along the equator is measured not in degrees but in hours, minutes, and seconds. One hour is 1/24 of the complete 360 degrees, or is equivalent to 15 degrees. One minute is 1/60 of an hour, and a second is 1/60 of a minute. The base point for measuring RA is taken to be one of two points where the equator intersects the ecliptic - which happens to be in the constellation Aries.

That's it. Hope this helps. Here are two articles that go into a bit more detail:
    Declination - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Right ascension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explanation of benefits [ 5 Answers ]

I received my explanation of benefits. The x-ray I had taken were complete paid for by my HMO Medicare.Total Patient Responsibility 0 One x-ray was submitted Charge of $200.00 but the eligible amount was only $35.67 What do they do negotiate over the price? Patient Responsibility was...

Explanation of Efficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Explain the problem of Efficiency in the management of Public Enterprise

Seeking Explanation [ 7 Answers ]

I am currently in grade twelve at high school. In grade eleven, I met this girl. We became excellent friends until the summer began, at which point we fell in love. We were "meant for eachother"... and definently still are. I had the greatest summer of my life with this girl. Anyway, school started...

Explanation Anyone? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, Here goes... I'm going to tell a story, and see if anyone can explain it to me. I have this memory. I was in my parents car, my father was driving, and I was iin my mother's lap in the passenger seat. I was apparently too small to comprehend 'all' of their conversation, but I got some of it....

View more questions Search