Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsmagoo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
    family issues
    Here's my dilemma. My father in law past away in Dec 05. Before he passed he stated to the mother in law that my husband would get 1/2 of the house she agreed. We did not pursue anything just waited to see what she was going to do. Well in about 13 months she has blown through about 95k. She came to us (my husband and I) and said that she didn’t want to wait and would deed the entire house to us. What a shock, the agreement was that she be able to stay until she dies. The taxes and other house stuff garbage etc were to be paid by renting a (granny shack) in the rear of the property. Everything was going well except she had refused to let any one rent it, so no money for garbage or taxes, next thing she does is get married to a guy that is about 30 years younger than her and has a criminal past. Now here’s the tricky part, she hasn’t paid any bills in about 8 months (i.e.) water sewer phone etc. We have helped all we could financially with out hurting us. The water co and elect. Shut her off so without any water or sewer she can’t stay there. Now she is calling demanding that we sell the house so that she can get her half and "be free". It has been since the 6th of Feb that the sewer and water have been blocked. All of her stuff is in the house, They are gone ,not much they have sold what was of any value. We would take a tremendous loss if we were to sell. We don't know what to do. Can we evict her so we can rent it to pay the taxes and hopefully she woul
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Does your agreement to allow her to live there, is it in writing?
    This is going to be hard, she can not force you to sell the house if she signed the deed over and you already filed the deed. But then if you agreed in writing to allow her to live there, you will have to go to court and prove she deserted the property, But then she could not stop you from renting the other part of the property, you needed to rent it, and just tell her you did it. ( not let her stop you)

You really, really need a real estate attoreny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Issues [ 16 Answers ]

Okay here goes a long story. Hope you are all ready for it. When I was 17 years old I left home. I had a baby sister at the age of 4 when I left. There was many problems. Many fights. Many things that led me to leave home. I went very very far away. I came back to visit a few times. ...

!family issues! [ 7 Answers ]

I lives with my b.f and his family for almost 3 years now that I am pregnant they decided to kick me out but my b.f is with me 100% he has this sister who is 22 and I'm only 17 she has been stealing my clothes underware and bra's... and also the mother I have been giving her money weekly is there...

Family friend has issues with girlfriend of 5 years [ 5 Answers ]

Okay a friend of my family is having problems with his girlfriend of 5 years (also a family friend). They are constantly argueing and degrading each. Lately she was getting on him cause he needed a better paying job (he was working for a moving company). Well she was degrading him calling him a...

Family issues [ 5 Answers ]

Is It Normal For Family To Give You Up To Children`s Ade And Now That I Am 20 And Have My First Apparment They Want Something To Do With Me What Does That Mean ::

View more questions Search