Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saraclark Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Some education + work experience enough?
    Hi - I'm new here. My question is this... I have recently returned to college after many (many) years. I have worked in the corporate world for quite some time, and was in the industry of my choosing (consumer products) for a number of years. I was doing the work that I enjoyed, but always under the title of "Assistant". I am currently in school, and will have my AA at the end of this summer. Is an Associate's degree, coupled with my work experience, going to be enough to get a good job, or do I need to continue on toward my BA?

I ask because, of course, continuing on would be quite costly and would take at least two more years for me to accomplish. I have always (for fourteen + years) been a working mother, and to be quite honest, I am ready to go back to work! I just want to make sure I can get what I'm looking for (and I'm not looking to climb to the top of the ladder... I'm just ready to not be the person at the very bottom... ), and can't decide what my next course of action should be.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Feb 19, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Hi, Sara.
    I am currently a stay at home mom but have been in recruiting for seven years. I can say from my experience working with employers that the vast majority are now requiring four degrees for many positions, including administrative assistants. Some do have flexibility and will consider a combination of education and experience but many are very rigid and will not consider an applicant without the required degree. My brother-in-law has run into this brick wall many times. He is a customer service manager and has been for nearly 15 years. He is quite good at what he does and fabulous references. However, he is disqualified for most management positions due to his lack of degree (he does have his associates). And when he is able to find a position it typically pays far less than the degreed positions offer.
    If possible, I would definitely recommend obtaining a four year degree. I know it is quite and undertaking and wish you the best of luck.
    saraclark Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Ugh! BUMMER!! So not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what I expected. Oh well. I'm sure that once I am actually working toward my major (and not just getting the basics out of the way), the subject matter will become more interesting to me, and therefore (crossing fingers) won't feel like it's taking FOR-EV-ER... like it feels now.

Thank you for your input!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Yes, many many places, if there is not a BS degree or more, your resume merely hits that oval file on the floor.

There are some indusry, esp in sales, where you can move up because you were good at your job. But even there it gets harder like in insurance as you go up with them wanting a LUTC and a CLU degrees.

So can you, of course you can, but you will have to find the right company. The BS or masters will open a lot more doors.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 04:46 PM
    You will be more marketable and desirable with a BA or BS. It will take more time (and money!) but in the end, with your experience, it will probably pay off for you. It will look good on your resume even if you list you are a student and will be graduating XX date; it shows the employer you are furthering your knowledge.

You don't say if you are currently working any job (it sounds as if you aren't) but you might want to consider looking for a part-time position while you are in school, so you remain in the workforce. The right company might even offer tuition assistance. I say this because I just finished my degree; I was a full time student for 2.5 years with no work experience during that time frame. I'm having a tough time getting a job now, and I suspect part of it is because I have no "recent" work history. Something to think about!

Good luck!
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 19, 2008, 07:44 PM
    This article is a couple of years old, but the information is still relevant & useful. As of 2006, a four year degree is worth about 28K per year in additional income. It's really an investment in your future!
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Feb 20, 2008, 12:44 PM
    A college degree is becoming increasingly important in landing a job. There is no argument there. However, articles like those submitted by vingogly do tend to focus on those individuals who make significantly more than the average college graduate. Those obtaining degree in the concrete sciences---computers, engineering, etc or business are far more likely to land above incomes coming out of college. While those of us with interests in the more abstract sciences-psychology, social work, english, etc are more likely to earn less than our high school graduate friends. Take my husband and myself for examples, I have my bachelors in psych, he has his masters in communications. When were both working full time we made far less combined than our law, medical, and computer degreed friends made with single incomes. In fact my first job out of college paid less than my sister made working in a factory. Ouch!
    I have also seen many employers require degrees and not pay for them. For example, many companies are beginning to require degrees for administrative work and still paying a wage more suited for high school graduates.
    Still weighing all sides of the argument, I do think a degree is worth the investment and will open doors for promotions and career advancement down the line even if you start making less than you'd like.
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Feb 20, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mom22
    A college degree is becoming increasingly important in landing a job. There is no argument there. However, articles like those submitted by vingogly do tend to focus on those individuals who make significantly more than the average college graduate. Those obtaining degree in the concrete sciences---computers, engineering, etc or business are far more likely to land above incomes coming out of college. While those of us with interests in the more abstract sciences-psychology, social work, english, etc are more likely to earn less than our high school graduate friends. Take my husband and myself for examples, I have my bachelors in psych, he has his masters in communications. When were both working full time we made far less combined than our law, medical, and computer degreed friends made with single incomes. In fact my first job out of college paid less than my sister made working in a factory. Ouch!
    Deciding whether a bachelor's degree is worth it is a complex decision, and depends on what "worth" means to you.

The numbers in the article I linked to refer to averages for college graduates. That includes all graduates in all disciplines. I would argue they're not focusing on those who make more, but on the population of all college graduates as a whole. You can get a bachelor's degree in psychology or social work, and it will be worth little in the job market, as you say. That's because you need at least a Master's degree plus licensure to earn the best salaries - and those will still be below what you can expect to earn in engineering. Same with an english degree: if you get an editing job, you will never earn what someone in business would earn. But if you're going to be much happier editing than in a business job or engineering job, your satisfaction needs to be included in your valuation of the degree. Plus, those who seek higher salaries in a field like social work need to aggressively market themselves and consider creating multiple income streams (I spent 24+ years as a software professional, and am now a counselor and coach, with Master's degrees in computer science and clinical psychology, so I have seen both sides).

Sara is looking for information about the value of a bachelor's degree in the business world. If you are going into marketing or sales, having a bachelor's in engineering will not be of much value (it might even work against you); however, my experience is that in many areas of business having a four-year liberal arts degree is worth about the same as having a four-year business degree in earning potential. Today, a person with a high school degree or an AA is not going to get as far in a business career as someone with a BA degree. That at any rate has been my experience. You need to do your homework and plan what you're going to do with your college degree before you commit to a major.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recognised Best online Universities for work Experience degree [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Any University which is recognised by Department of Education either regional or State. Offering Life Experience or Work Experience degrees.

Accreditated university for degree on work experience [ 6 Answers ]

Dear all , Can any body let me know is there any university or institution who is Accreditated & offer degree base on work experience . Regards

Credit for work experience and college credits [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have received associates degree, taken masters level courses and received numerous amounts of professional training considered as credit hours. Is there anyplace that is accredited and/or recognized that can equivilate this to a degree for me? Thanks, Jamie

Work experience technical degrees [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... this is kalyan, I want to earn a work experience technical degree with my experience.

View more questions Search