Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shepherd1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Did I make the right decision, after a 3 year relationship?
    My boyfriend and I recently broke up. We have been going out for 3 years. He is the clingy wants to know where I'm at, at every minute of the day. And doesn't trust me (which I was paying for due to his past). But I got tired of feeling like I was being held down and never got to do anything without him because he thought I was cheating. Mind you I never did anything wrong in our relationship or than the normal bickering we did. But now I don't know if I made the right decision. We spoke last night I guess as that "closure" you hear so much about. And I told him that his insecurities are what broke our relationship. And that's something that he needs to work on. Well his response was that he thought he had been working on it because he took the step to get me an engagement ring. He also told me that I am the one he wants to marry and have kids with.

What do I do? Did I make the right decision?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Yes you did, as you knew what you wanted, a healthy loving relationship. He ain't it, so its for the best you ended it now, and not be dazzled by a ring, as jewelry has never made someone healthy enough for a good relationship. There will be someone you deserve, now that you are free again. Keep loving yourself enough, to find your own happiness.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Feb 19, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Yes you did make the right decision always turn the volume up on your intuition and listen. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. As for him buying a ring and planning to get married, he thinks that will draw you in, as most women would love to get married and have children, But possesiveness, and insecurties, clinginess are all no no's... You made the right decision, if that is not what you want then you don't need to be in that relationship. He needs time to figure himself out, and learn to trust otherwise he will continually have problems with women. It is no longer your problem, and I would suggest you take this time to be happy and not think about if you made the right decision or not follow your heart and intuition.. Besides you would find someone who is what you want, and can trust, and give you the space you need. In fact this separation would be a real test let's see if he can respect your wishes and give you the space you need, until you figure things out...

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did I make the right decision? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, this is proably going to be a long post so bear with me. Me and my ex have been broken up for just about 6 months now. For the most part we have stayed away from each other, only talking every month or so, and even then, its just casual checking up on each other. She is currently in a...

Did I make the right decision? [ 8 Answers ]

Okay so I have been on the site for months now and it does help me and thank you. So my situation now is that I broke up with my boyfriend last night unexpectedly. Weird to say but yea. I was planning on doing it soon but not last night. The reason for my break up is because I need a break...

What decision should I make about on-campus housing? [ 1 Answers ]

I talked with my mother and she is worried that I''ll get so in debt in the end that I will be paying 20 or 30 years! I agree I should take as minimum as possible, but I would prefer to live on campus so I would get better off with college. Besides sometimes situation at home is not stable,...

Decision to make [ 5 Answers ]

New to the site, but have been married 6 years 31 years old wife is 30. Ive wanted kids for a while now. My wife simply doesn't. We discussed this before we were married and she said that she wanted kids. I stopped asking about it a year ago, now all of a sudden she said that she is leaving...

Upsetting info, but need to make a decision [ 12 Answers ]

So my ex (of almost 3 years) broke up with me about 5 weeks ago. There weren't very substantial reasons at the time as to why she did it, other than saying she was "unhappy". We recently met for the first time and things went well but said we shouldn't jump back into a relationship and need to at...

View more questions Search