Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sl828 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Excel Autoformatting with E+
    Every time I type numbers that are longer than the length of the column, the numbers always formatted with an E+ in them and you loose the original numbers. The format of the column is General. Even when I change the column to Text, it does not do anything. Can this function be turned off some how? Thanks in advance for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2008, 09:19 AM
    widen the column. The E means an exponent. The numbers are being displayed as a higher precision number, but the actual stored value is what you typed in.

Feb 27, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Even after I widen the column the numbers still display with the E+.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2008, 08:35 AM
    How long are these numbers?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Yes, you need to widen the cell column BEFORE you put the data in it. I've noticed I have difficulty getting data that has already converted to E+ display to change.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:13 AM
    These are 12 digits numbers. When I generate a spreadsheet with large numbers I usually make the column wide enough for the large numbers. I have this problem only when I open spreadsheets generated by others. Is there a way to correct this after numbers have been entered into a spreadsheet? TY
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Yes, you need to import their data into one of your own spreadsheets that you've already widened the columns and formatted the NUMBER format.

Then use DATA > IMPORT > and point to the incoming spreadsheet and follow the prompts to bring the data in.

You'll have to play a little with where/how you do the import, read the F1 help files on data importation for more help. I just tried it and if I opened the external file, I saw E+ numbers, when I imported into formatted cells, they displayed fully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Say I have multiple data in a spread sheet like, A 1 DAD111 2 CATUS25 3 58UTIOPS

Ms excel [ 1 Answers ]

Can you give me the meaning of cell adverg

MS Excel [ 2 Answers ]

I am modifying a payroll spreadsheet that was developed in MS Excel. The hours worked by each employee have their own row; each cell represents the hours worked on that particular day. I need to isolate ONLY the amount greater than eight hours (for overtime) and sum those quantities at the end of...

How to get better with Excel [ 2 Answers ]

My Vietnamese staff and I use Excel all the time, but we're limited to very basic stuff. Can anyone recommend an easy and comprehensive how-to reference, either book form (which we would have to order by mail) or on-line info? Thanks. -- Chuck Searcy, Hanoi

Excel [ 2 Answers ]

:rolleyes: I try to use excel to print an invoice, how can I put an invoice number that will auto upadate the next time I use the file?

View more questions Search