Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AlexandraHealy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Attenuation of light through coloured liquids.
    I am trying to research the attenuation of light through colored liquids, in particular Ribena. I used a colorimeter with varying Ribena concentrations and a steady pH value to gain some absorbency values. I am struggling to find a relationship between absorbency and attenuation. I would like to convert the absorbency values I have collected into a way in which I can apply the formula I=I0e-ux. This will allow me to investigate the relationship between the attenuation co-efficient and the concentration of Ribena.
    Thank-you!
    Alexandra
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:18 AM
    I'm not entirely sure where you're having the problem here, can you elaborate? :)

Attenuation is just the measure of the amount of light that is not transmitted. i.e. it is the amount of light that is both reflected or absorbed.

Feb 19, 2008, 09:36 AM
    You've pretty much answered my question there. :)
    I have collected absorbency values and hit a brick wall because I wasn't sure how to convert that to attenuation but if they're the same thing I should have no problem, right?
    So if I wanted to find the attenuation co-efficient, I could just plug in an absorbency value for I?
    Thanks again
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Well, in the equation you have given there, I=I0e-ux

I would assume that I is the intensity of light transmitted after passing through a thickness of material x, with attenuation coefficient u and original light intensity I0.

Feb 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Yes I think that's pretty accurate. So, in saying that, are the values I collected for absorbency pointless? Should it have been the intensity of light not passing through the sample I've measured?
    Forgive me, I'm struggling to grasp how I could put say a value of 1.2A for absorbency from the colorimeter and compare it with concentration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995 [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on. ...

Help Coloured Hair Spray Disaster! Turned Pink [ 3 Answers ]

I sprayed my son's long blond hair with coloured red hair spray and no matter how many times I wash it it is still pink all around the front of his hair, he looks like he has a pink halo! DOES anyone know how I can fix this?? Will it wash out eventually?? Has it happened to anyone else?? Help HELP...

Hampton Bay track light - pendant light cord length [ 2 Answers ]

How can I shorten the length of the light cord on a Hampton Bay track system ? There is a tube that plugs into the track that has a serries of screws but there is also a screw at the light base also.

Plants under coloured lights [ 1 Answers ]

Hey We're doing this experiment in school on the effects of plants when they are covered in different coloured cellophane (clear, red blue and green). And I'd like to know why the plants don't grow well under blue and red lights.. is it because plants absorb the red and blue wavelengths, and since...

Viscous Liquids [ 3 Answers ]

Can the density of a liquid affect its viscosity?

View more questions Search