Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellemichellemichelle Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Advise on pnuemonia
    I have recently suffered from severe pneumonia, I ended up on life support in intensive care. I am 41 and consider myself to be of good health. The hospital were very surprised at me have pnuemonia and said it was very unusual for someone of my age. I am still very much in the dark as to how I became so ill with this and how I might have caught it. I also am worried I may catch pnuemonia again. Can anyone give me any information/advise on this
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Feb 20, 2008, 09:56 PM
    A common cause, but by no means the only one, is strep pneumococcus. There is a vaccination for this. Viruses , like influenza , can also cause pneumonia. A vaccination may also help.

You say you are in good health but the following put you at risk [if any apply ]

Smoking
    Alcohol use
    Hiv / aids
    Cysic fibrosis
    Diabetes
    [ prior ] removal of the spleen
    Steroids, chemotherapy suppress the immune system.
    To name a few

Usually one case is just that, but if you get pneumonia again you need to have your immunity evaluated by your doctor.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 10:13 PM
    There's a good chance that you may have caught the cold/flu and while your immune system was at a weak point, you caught pneumonia.

This past flu season was one of the worst, so there's a good chance your immune system was a bit weak during that time.

Really, there's no "good" way to prevent any sickness except the usual: get your rest, get your vitamins, exercise moderately, and eat well. Wash your hands.

Hope you're feeling better
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Feb 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
    My entire family ended up with broncitis which turned into pneumonia during the holidays.It was like someone may cough up half a lung because the coughing is constant and hard to cure.I thought all was well,but we caught the flu 4 weeks later.It has been a very sickly winter to say the least.I'm ready to get past all the viruses and germs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any advise? [ 13 Answers ]

Last night, I planted bird seed. This morning there was a bird. What do I feed it? :p :p

Need Advise [ 2 Answers ]

Just found out house I am living has been foreclosed on. Been looking for another place to live anyway because of the hole in the front bedroom. That happened a week before we moved in. My landlady has returned my last months rent, but we have not found another rental yet and have not yet received...

Seeking advise on giving advise [ 1 Answers ]

If you are sharing in a living situation with someone who you've found to be kind of a slob, i.e. not doing any cleaning nor taking care of personal hygiene, and it poses a health risk to both of you, how would you go about telling that person to cleanup? How can you tell another person that they...

Could use some advise [ 16 Answers ]

Ok I need advise on 2 different relationship propublems. 1> My x is asking me to sign a paper for him . I told him I would have to speak to my lawyer before signing any papers for him . He got mad and left me a text message saying He was crushing the car (the paper he wanted me to sign was...

Serious Advise Please! [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I know this is sure to get some negative comments, need only serious advise please! I've been married AND FAITHFULL for the last five years. Prior to our marriage, we were together for 10 years. Lately, for a long time actually, I feel like my husband doesn't "give" to the relationship...

View more questions Search