Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nolesskins Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Installing wooden fence
    I want to hire someone to install a new wooden fence. Like to pay him for the job but curious as to how many hours would it require one person to put in 120 feet of fencing. Includes 15 posts and required 2X4's and 6 inch boards. Posts to be installed with concrete. Two gates. Rough estimate is adequate enough. Appreciate the help.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 12:56 PM
    Assuming use of a gas powered post hole digger and an air-gun nailer, and hard working folk; you're looking at about 1 hour per section.

That's per my maint guys who have done several of them.

Jan 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
    One hour per section with one person working? I'm using a handyman type but he is very good at everything he does. He'll be digging manually but does use a nail driver.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2006, 03:45 AM
    My guys swear that the two of them could do it in one day with a gas powered (2-man) gas powered post hole digger. Two days for one guy.

... but that gas powered post hole digger makes up for a lot. We guestimate one hour with it or 5 hours without it.

That's the maint. Angle on it.

My management angle: Even if you break even on the cost of renting it vs. what you save in his man-hours - I think he will work much better and faster on the fence itself if he's not doing it after the back breaking job of digging 15 post holes manually.

... just my opinion.

[Be sure to call to verify where undergrounds (pipe, wire, cable) are]

Jan 24, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Thanks Rick. I think I have enough to work with. Incidentally is that Groom Lake, Nevada that is close to Area 51? I'm ex-Air Force and familiar with that area.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Rent
    It can really be worth renting a post hold digger.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesskins
    Thanks Rick. I think I have enough to work with. Incidentally is that Groom Lake, Nevada that is close to Area 51? I'm ex-Air Force and familiar with that area.
    Lol, that's my little joke. Yes, it refers to Area 51 (And there's no water there; it's a dry lakebed).
    eggers08 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesskins
    I want to hire someone to install a new wooden fence. Like to pay him for the job but curious as to how many hours would it require one person to put in 120 feet of fencing. Includes 15 posts and required 2X4's and 6 inch boards. Posts to be installed with concrete. Two gates. Rough estimate is adequate enough. Appreciate the help.
    Well it just depends I mean we don't work bye the hour but if you email me with your information and were your located I will give you a ball park estimate over the computer if you like thanks mrs eggers [email protected]
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Apr 28, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Here's a ballpark price, I charge $15 a ft, that's materials and labor for the fence plus extra for the gates. Your cost would be $1800 plus the gates. At and extra $150. Total material and labor cost $1950

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The fence [ 58 Answers ]

Should the United States build a fence along our southern border with Mexico?

Wood fence [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build a fence 8 ft tall and I am requested by the city engineered wind load calculations for 90 miles per hour, sustained for 3 seconds. How do I calculate this? Thanks for any help

Wooden filofax [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know who makes wooden filofaxes? Thanks

Novel - Wooden Centauri [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Askme Helpers, Can someone please help me with the novel 'Wooden Centauri'? I need the: Authors name, If it was published in Hardback, The ISBN, If it is available on Cassette, CD or online for download or listening to,

Old wooden window won't close [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wooden window that jams about 6" from the bottom. It seems to jam on the left side and there's a small pile of sawdust in that corner. It doesn't look like the individual sliding parts of the window can be removed. Any advice?

View more questions Search