Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    auditlady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 10:03 PM
    How to keep neighbor's dog and puppies out of my yard and flower beds?
    I live in a small town with no leash laws, and no animal control. In my area, the houses are quite close to each other. The next door neighbors' mama dog and 3 puppies have taken up residence in my flower bed and yard. Not only are they destroying the beds and killing the grass - there's the problem of fleas. I am at work during the day, as are the neighbors, and their animals are outside with no supervision during that time. What can I do to keep them out of my yard without creating a problem by complaining to the neighbors, and without doing something that would seriously hurt the dog and puppies. Fencing is not an option.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
    There must be a dog pound around. Call them.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Calling the pound would cause a problem with the neighbors, but that's just it... perhaps a simple knock on their door and saying, "Hey, your dogs are ruining my flower bed.." may fix it.

Also, there is no animal control in your area..

If they don't fix it, there's a product called "bitter apple".. and it's to discourage dogs from chewing furniture, eating paint off walls... I used it on the legs of my couch. It's EXTREMELY bitter. Perhaps spraying a little bit of it in your flower bed may deter the animals. I'm not so sure its effects on plant life, but I do know it is made from apples. I'd do some research before doing this.

Feb 18, 2008, 10:34 PM
    How considerate and caring are your neighbors when they allow their dogs to roam free. You need to take some action against them. Here where I live, that was the situation until people started complaining. Everyone let all of their dogs roam free. The only way people follow the rules is if it cost them money.

Call the nearest animal control. Believe me there is one near you that you may have to get involve. The problem is not going to go away by itself.

Spraying stuff on the plants is not a solution. How is the stuff going to stay on your plants when it rains or when the sun beats on it.

There must be a dog pound around that you can call. Call them.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Before you call animal control at least talk to your neighbours and give them a chance to change. You haven't complained yet, maybe they think you're okay with it. Voice your concerns nicely and ask them to stop this, if they don't then it's time to get some outside help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Well there are powders or granulars that you can purchase that is suppose to keep the dogs out of your flower beds, or gardens. I am not sure of the name of the products, but they are available.
    FallenFromGrace Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Feb 20, 2008, 10:07 AM
    I'd be wary of using chemicals to dissuade the dogs from coming over. Even when they claim to be safe, a certain dog may has an allergic reaction. I don't know about what the laws say for your state but in most states animals are considered property. If their dogs has an allergic reaction to something you put out BECAUSE of the dogs, you may be liable for vet expenses. I would either talk to your neighbor, or if you are not comfortable with that, write them a letter. Keep it diplomatic.. "I realize that dogs never seem to stay where you want them to and I love having you as a neighbor but your babies are ruining my landscaping." Something to that effect. If it doesn't work and you do not have an animal control in your area, (Yes, I know it happens.. very sad) the local sheriff's dept or police dept has to handle all animal related calls. Now, that said, they will probably blow you off the first time. Although you may not have leash laws, I bet you have an ordinance against animals "running at large". If you tell me your state I can tell you what GS it falls under and then you can let the local law know. They won't blow you off then.

It would be much better for you and your relationship with your neighbor if you just try the letter approach first. Always escalate with your use of force.

Feb 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
    When you call the government agency whether Animal Control or the Sheriff's Dept, etc, they do not have to disclose the name of the person who called them. Your neighbor never has to find out who called. Many times this is the method that works best----calling the authories and having them go by and talk to the neighbors.
    smokey1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Comment on Dana2007's post
    Ignore this person, she is a nut a complete nut.
    FallenFromGrace Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Feb 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Dana,

I don't know why you think I am untruthful. It's a matter of public record when police or animal control take a complaint. They do have to disclose who filed the complaint if they are asked. I can say that if I wasn't asked who had filed the complaint, I didn't offer the information, but most everyone wants to know. I am sorry that this information seems to make you upset, but reality does have a tendency to do that. If that's not what you think I am being untruthful about, let me know what it is. I may have dumb days but I don't try to be untruthful.
    jackee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 11:04 AM

With no leash laws... that is pretty bad, because it really leaves you with little to nothing you can do. I know that helpless feeling since I have just submitted a problem similar which I feel just as helpless. I would suggest filing charges with the police, which I ave done with my neighbors... but be prepared for the backlash from it. They nowgo out of their way to be extra rude to me, my dogs, and my property. They toss crap over my fence knowing "dogs will eat anything.' I was told to get a camera installed to catch them... what a headache. I am so sorry, I am suppose to be helping you..! Good Luck!
    tacodawg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Just go knock on their door and let them know, hey your dogs need to be put away while you are gone, they are ruining my flower beds. That's all, and if they don't take that very well, then you know what kind of people they really are. Then call the local police, like was described in previous posts, good luck!
    affenpinscher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 02:43 PM

Reality check - people who let four dogs run free do not care about their neighbor's.

If you talk to them - even nicely - and they don't do anything, then what? If you report them to Sheriff, etc. they will know who did it and you may experience some retaliation.

Instead, put chick wire fence around your garden or go to amazon.com and order some of the paint/odor spray that you can put on grass.
    You may have to try a couple brands to find
    What the dogs don't like.
    Dogs don't like it but it doesn’t harm them.

Having something on your yard that is smelly, wet and hard to remove so the dogs track it
    Back to their owners is always good.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by affenpinscher View Post
    Reality check - people who let four dogs run free do not care about their neighbor's.

If you talk to them - even nicely - and they don't do anything, then what? If you report them to Sheriff, etc., they will know who did it and you may experience some retaliation.

Instead, put chick wire fence around your garden or go to amazon.com and order some of the paint/odor spray that you can put on grass.
    You may have to try a couple brands to find
    what the dogs don't like.
    Dogs don't like it but it doesn’t harm them.

Having something on your yard that is smelly, wet and hard to remove so the dogs track it
    back to their owners is always good.
    This thread is 2 years old and no one has posted on it since then.

Please check the dates of threads before posting. When you post on an old thread it bumps it to the top, making it look like a new question, one that needs attention, when in fact it doesn't.

It's great to read old threads for info, which is why they're kept, but please refrain on posting on old threads.

Thank you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 05:58 PM

Closed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog goes to the neighbor's backyard [ 6 Answers ]

We have lived in the same house for 14 years and the fences were there when we moved in. There were all new houses and the neighbors put up their fences and we didn't have to put a fence because they were there other than the gates on both sides, that are ours and we put up. The house to our...

Neighbor's Offensive Dog Poop [ 16 Answers ]

My neighbor walks his dogs SOLELY in his backyard. This causes a seriously offensive odor. By mid-summer, the smell is so bad that we can't sit out there for any length of time without being nauseous. Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

Rid my flower beds of poison ivy [ 1 Answers ]

For the last 3 years, I've been battling poison ivy in my flower beds, not a lot, but enough to break me out! I've sprayed, cut off and sprayed, used bleach and many other remedies but every year it comes back. Any tried and true remedies out there? Thanks

Our dog is urinating on our beds? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 12 month old dog who is urinating on our beds. He has been fixed and this problem actually started after he was fixed. We are constantly keeping our doors closed, but the one time it's open he gets in. We have tried many different things and it's not helping. Is there anyone else who...

Dog Poop on Lawns/Shrubbery Beds [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a residential community where people just simply refuse to pick up after their dogs. So my lawn, from time to time, has some dog poop on it. Is there some product that will repel the dogs so they stay away from my lawn + shrubs - yet, won't harm them or the lawn/shrubs + not need to...

View more questions Search