Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atladmiral Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 09:28 PM
    What is Georgia (USA) Wage Garnishment Formula?
    I have been Wage Garnished with no notice. I have read on another (now "blank") website on Garnishment Laws by State that in Georgia, it is the LESSER of: 25% of Take Home Wage, OR the amount above Federal Minimum Wage times 30 hours per week (or 60 hours for 2-week time span, per quote on that website). I only had 25.63 hours over a 2-week pay period (@$9.00/hour). Should I not be EXEMPT from any Wage Garnishment for this (and other less-than-60-hour-times-Minimum-Wage) pay period(s)?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Pursuant to OCGA 18-4-20, the maximum part of the aggregate disposable earnings of an individual for any work week which is subject to garnishment may not exceed the lesser of twenty-five percent (25%) of his disposable earnings for that week, or the amount by which his disposable earnings for that week exceed thirty (30) times the federal minimum hourly wage. For earnings for a period other than a week, a multiple of the federal minimum hourly wage equivalent in effect shall be used.

This means that they can only garnish 25% of your net pay after deductions or the amount that your net wage is more than 30 times the Federal Minimum Wage. The federal minimum wage is 5.85. Thiry times 5.85 is 175.50. So they can take 25% or they can take anything over 175.50 per week.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment of Paycheck in Georgia [ 2 Answers ]

How much can they garnish from my paycheck in the State of Georgia on a Judgment against me for a credit card. The total amt. is almost $5000.00 with attorney's fees, etc. I wrote an "answer" back to the Attorney's Office and it didn't do me any good. A Judge signed the Order that I have to pay...

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that there is a garnishment on my bank account in Georgia resulting in a zero balance :( Do you think they can take my car This debt is not related to my car which is paid for. Also do you think there is anyway I can get this garnishment off my account? I am trying to pay this...

Garnishment in Georgia [ 4 Answers ]

Hello brilliant minds! I have a question about a judgement handed down against me in Fulton county Georgia.Calvary portfolio svcs.llc won a judgement for$4182.00(which turned into $9982.00 by the time of garnishment.I have heard of court costs but over double? Sheesh!)Anyway I was wondering if...

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

My question is in regards to wage garnishments in the state of Georgia. What types of debit can I be garnished for in Georgia? Will filing bankruptcy keep me from having my wages garnished? Thanks

Garnishment in Georgia [ 5 Answers ]

A previous landlord filed a Garnishment, faxed the Garnishment paperwork to my husband's place of employment on a day that he wasn't working, and we had already paid the debt in full one day previous to finding out that he had filed the paperwork. What legal grounds do we have for the sending of...

View more questions Search