Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wheatenlover Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Why our dog chews off his pads
    :confused: One of our dogs has been chewing off his pads. We've had him back and forth to the vet since Oct. 2007 for different treatments. He currently has three sore paws. We wrapped them, he quickly chews the bandages off, We purchased dogboots to protect the sore pads from the snow and ice when goes out for bathroom duties, but he has chewed them up. He is on antibiotic and now predisone. He was on antibiotics and phenobarb, without much relief. Antibiotics were for the open sores he made. They seem to tingle or itch, from what we have observed.

We had an ointment the vet gave us to use on him, paws seemed to get better for a few days, then he started in again, on another pad.

Is it his food, something on the carpet or floor, or anxiety. He never use to do this prior to 10/2007, he's 6 years old. His personality has changed, and he seems depressed. The phenobarb really changed his mood, when he was on it.

We want our dog to feel better. Any ideas?
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Does he itch anywhere else or just his paws? Does he go outside? Does the vet know what is making them itchy?

Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 PM
    He doesn't seem to be itchy anywhere else. He only goes outside for bathroom breaks. It is especially cold and snow/ice covered outside, so I don't think it's any yard chemicals. I wondered about that earlier in October and November, but we've had lot's of cold and snow weather. He can barely walk outside when his paws are so raw. At times I have to wrap them or put on dog boots before he can go outside. Our female dog doesn't have this problem, but she does lick the carpet, furniture and bedding.
    Vet is now wondering if it is a food ingrediant allergy. That is why we are trying the predisone. He has been taking it one week, and there may be a decrease in the chewing, just not sure. I also changed his dogfood to a science diet food for dogs with allergies, this past week, at Vet's request. Vet advised it may take up to six weeks for dog to quit chewing, if it is a food ingrediant allergy.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 18, 2008, 09:20 PM
    It could be anxiety also.

Try some dog food without grains. Grains can defintely add to the problem.

Natural Balance and Taste of the Wild are two dried foods that don't have grains.

Would be great if you could get him on some homeopathy also to heal his paws and help with any anxiety.

Feb 19, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Thank you for your reply, we're ready to give anything a try to remedy this problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pee Pads [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a yorkie he is 9 weeks. My husband and I leave him for 8 hours when we go to work.We have a space gated off for him with toys,bed,water and his pee pad. He just starting eating his pee pad. I come home it's all over his gated area. What should I do?

Shoulder Pads? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I was wondering about the rules of shoulder pads lately. Of course I wore them with EVERYTHING in the early 90's, but then learned to accept my little shoulders. However, now I have a post-baby body. I am back to a 6, but my shoulders are narrow and droopy and with my new hips, I look silly in...

Dachshund that chews [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old Dachshund that chews on everything, he has chewed every blanket and rug in our home. Any suggestions on how to stop the chewing. I have tried spraying the bitter spray, with no luck.

Dog chews her toes [ 10 Answers ]

Lately I've noticed that my female dog has started chewing on her toes. She acts like they itch. She hasn't rubbed off any fur or anything. There are no sores or anything like that but she chews on them a lot. Anyone have any ideas?

Dog chews rocks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old lab who loves to chew on rocks, we have bought him every chew toy possible but he loves to bring in rocks from outside. Should I allow this? Is chewing on rocks bad for him? Any help is appreciated.

View more questions Search