Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
    diagonal decking
    Ive got a 18 x 16 deck, Ive figured the decking already, but my question is does anyone here have a sure fire method of figuring decking when turned on a diagonal.
    thanks Eric
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Add the scrap for each cut?

Feb 19, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Thanks for the input, but what I'm looking for is basically how you'd figure running the decking boards straight, if its 12ft you divide 5.5 into 12ft and that will tell you how many boards you'll need, but if you run them diaginal it changes things up, I was just curious if someone had come up with simple math to figure this.

I'm just about done with the deck and ill just count them up and then figure it out myself I guess. I think I bought about 20 boards extra for no reason.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:19 AM
    The square footage shouldn't change.

Adding scrap, etc, should be the only added changes involved in this operation.

A 10' X 20' deck, run on the 20' runs = 21-22 5.5" boards

A 10' X 20' deck,run diagonally should still be 23-24 5.5" boards including scrap for the cut-offs.

Hopefully this makes sense.I have been too close to the forest to the see the trees at times and forget the small details like board feet and linear feet too.

Ken
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:24 AM
    What did you buy, 5/4"?? And how are you joists spaced? KBC pretty much has it, length X wideth and about 6" for run. I did a diagonal for a guy who wanted it done with 5/4 he had already bought. We could not do the job because the boards deflected too much and we would have had a bounce in the deck.

Feb 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
    When you run diagonal you should use 12" centers on floor joist, but most don't do it.
    As far as the square ft being the same yes that's true ,but the waste factor is different.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
    "but the waste factor is different" yep, that's why I added 6" for every course on the deck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find exact length of the diagonal of a square garden with each side 15 feet [ 1 Answers ]

What is the diagonal length of a square with 15 feet sides

Length of diagonal of square [ 4 Answers ]

Just got home from school. Must not have paid attention in class today haha. What is the length of the diagonal of a square whose side lengths are 7 square root of 2?

5th grade math-equivalent fractions-diagonal grid [ 0 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to use a Diagonal Grid Paper to find out Equivalent Fractions on 5/8 and 1/4. Very confused... This is 5th grade math on equivalent fractions. There a 8 answers on each sheet with a grid paper attached to show your work. Skateboarders Mom

Diagonal argument? [ 1 Answers ]

Consider the following problem: We have the following sets: A={S where S is a bounded sequence of natural numbers} B={S where S is an increasing bounded sequence of natural numbers} I need to prove that set A is not denumerable and set B is denumerable. For the first one, could I use...

Composite Decking [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing wood deck. Would like to replace the floor boards, railing and stair system with a composite material. Live by the ocean so need a product that will withstand the elements. Heard of Trex, Veranda, Fiberglass--any advice on these or other products would be appreciated.

View more questions Search