Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katetea Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Very strong Kitchen sink odor
    Hello
    We live in a 5th floor apartment and ever since we have moved in there has been a very strong odor coming from the kitchen sink. We don't have a disposal. It smells like sewer and seems to start when hot water is ran down the sink. But then, other times it will be very strong first thing in the morning when no water has ben down it. The only way we can get rid of the smell is to run cold water down the sink for hours. We have had plumbers come by to check it but they all give the excuse that they can't do anything about it until they smell it?? Its got to the point that I think they just do this because we are on the 5th floor and it would be too big of a job to try to fix any problem. Needless to say we will be moving in 2 months when the lease it up but Ive been worried about if this could be a health hazard? Would appreciate any information if anyone has had this problem before.. or what it could possibly be. Thank you
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Hey katetea... pipes have junk on the sides... can get to smelling pretty bad. None of the plumbers suggested replacing the pipes... huh? And I am sure you have a p-trap under the sink... yes (see pic. Below)?

Could always try a 1/2 cup bleach down the drain... let sit overnight then wash down with about 6 cups boiling water... that should help reduce smell a little.

OR could use some baking soad and vinegar to foam up the drain lines... again.. let sit overnight... and then add boiling water to flush away. Either one should help reduce odors.

Let me know if that helped. And as long as there is a ptrap under sink there should not be any health hazards!!

If my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Sewer gas can become a health problem so I'd continue trying to get this fixed. Since you are renting it's the landlords responsibility to hire a competent plumber who will assess your problem. It sounds like your trap is not working. Does you drain go into the wall after the trap or does it go straight down through the cabinet floor after the trap?

Feb 18, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Hi.. thanks for the quick response.. we have put gallons of bleach down the sink before.. was the plumbers idea. Which didn't solve the problem. Under the sink is a trap but it doesn't look like the picture you showed. Its more like a cup shape. They have checked it before and said that water was in it, so it supposedly was working OK. We have had several plumbers here but we still get the same answer that they cant... or more like won't... do anything until they smell it... makes no sense and its aggrevating and scarey. The drain goes into the wall after the trap
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Hey Katetea... how many floors above you?

Feb 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
    One floor above us
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:11 PM
    The trap look anything even close to this pic.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I am just wondering if the trap is getting siphoned (having water pulled out as water from sink upstairs drains past your sink). Not that it matters at this point. If trap is in place... no hazards.. that we can prove.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:15 PM
    No.. its shaped like a kids drinking cup with a round bottom , and you pull it off to take it off to check it.. they took it off before to show me. Im living in england right now and it might be something different they use over here that is different from the states?

Feb 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
    MASS I was thinking siphoning too that why I was asking if this could be an S trap. Kate where do you live and any chance of a picture? Maybe you can Google plumbing sites in your country and capture a picture to post back to us.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:20 PM
    YUP! I am sure that the trap is different from here then.

Can you post a pic..

Feb 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
    As long as you don't think it's a health hazard... has had me worried a lot wondering, because all I would get for an answer from the plumbers is that there was no way that the sewage smells or anything else could be coming up through the kitchen sink plus its getting to the point where it actually makes me feel sick when the smell comes so I was getting worried and wanted to check
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Look anything like this trap?
    Attached Images

Yeah I will try to get a pic of it for you
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
    I wonder... do you know the people upstairs well enough to ask them to fill their sink full and then drain it? You must stand in front of your sink when they drain their sink.. see if gurgles or bubbles..? If it does, then your trap may be getting siphoned which would suggest that system was piped wrong and you would have a case for them to change pipes. If not... then I am stumped!

Did you see pic. Of third trap?

Feb 18, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Where do you live Kate? Sewer gas smells just like you'd expect sewage to smell, pooh. If this is what you are smelling them you have a venting issue or bad trap. You vent pipe in the wall could even be cracked or broken loose.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:35 PM
    I took a pic of it with my cell phone... do I just attach it on one of these messages? Sorry but I'm new at this

Feb 18, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Yes that is what it looks like sorry I didn't see the pic before

Feb 18, 2008, 04:39 PM
    You are doing fine. Yes just attach it to your message. I think if you open the "Go Advanced" box to the left of spell check it will help you.

Feb 18, 2008, 04:40 PM
    I'm not sure if there is anyone living above us but its worth checking it to see if that could be the cause of it... thank you both so much for all your help and information

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor in kitchen sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a "vomit " like smell coming from my kitchen sink drains. There are no leaks under the sink, or under the house from pipes leading from kitchen sink. Ive have tried draino, bleach, etc, but odor is still there. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dan Cravens

Odor coming from kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

There is a sewer gas smell coming from my kitchen sink. When I first bought the house the washer backed up and the rotor-rooter guy said that the main drain has two large pipes coming into it at the same place and not to run the dishwasher and washer at the same time. Would weekly applications of a...

How do I get rid of kitchen sink odor? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of midew in the kitchen sink?

Strong Odor Emitting From Bathroom Sink. [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing a strong septic odor from our bathroom sink. This is the second time this month it has happened, it also appears to happen when the weather is cold? Any ideas what may be causing this problem,and any solutions to offer.. Thank you.

View more questions Search