Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Hi harold... yeah we worked the vent issues out as best she could... she does not own the property and can not even access upstairs plumbing.

Very complicated... read posts. Let us know your thoughts!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Yea, I posted , then realised that I had only read page 1. I deleated my post, but before I could delete she read the post. I reposted after reading all the post so her reply would make sense. Makes me look stupid but it is what it is.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 05:15 PM
    Harold... you can never look stupid... believe me, some can.. but not you ;) Good night!

Feb 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by katetea
    what i did today just to see if hot water would cause the smell is run the hot for a little while and then shut it off... it wasnt 5 min later and the smell is really strong. it did that everytime today. ..............

I dont know its very strange that it gets really strong after running hot water...and running cold will take the smell away. But then also it will sometimes do it without running the hot water.
    Some where later she said that cold water was only thing that would stop odor and that only lasted for a period.

Hot water heats trap and pipes. Hot water equals hot, rising air. Rising air pulls odors out of dishwasher (or washing machine). Cold water stops rising air. Could there be decaying waste food in dishwasher pump? What was "pooh" in trap? Don't know how long this has been going on. Sounds like a long time. Wonder if dishwasher has intergal disposal unit.
    I wonder how that black hose stays connected.

Katetea.
    Something to try. Assuming that the white ribbed hose is the dishwasher.
    Remove hose, put a piece of plastic over the end of the pipe to the drain.
    Reconnect dishwasher hose over the plastic. Nut should screw back on over the plastic, effectively blocking the dishwasher line.
    Don't use dishwasher for a day to see if odor presist.

Put your best bonnet in the dishwasher as a reminder not to use it.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 04:58 AM
    All good ideas HK. I hope she gets them. And yeah... I wondered about that "pooh" thing, too.

That best bonnet thing... very funny ;)
    katetea Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Hi.. we just had a plumber come by and I had ran the hot water so he could try to figure out what it is. He checked all the pipes.. they were clean he said and can't exactly figure out where its coming from. He said the best thing to do is replace all the piping under the sink to see if that takes it away, if not then it has to be a problem with the stack. Also found out that the stack ends at our floor since the ones above us is a penthouse. So to me, although I am not a plumber it seems like the odors would be coming from the stack that ends right by our kitchen sink? If that's the case, would be a major job I imagine to fix... just wanted to let you know what's going on... still no answer to it yet but hopefully will be soon!

Feb 20, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Stack should be vented to roof. If stack is not vented, the water flowing down the drain will pull all of the water out of your trap and you will get sewer gasses. If not vented to the roof gas will come out where ever vent ends. Don't think changing pipes under sink is going to fix anything.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 07:51 AM
    YUP... HK said it Kate... hey, if you want to... ask the plumber if he will install an automatic air vent in the drain line (looks like the pics I posted of vents on page #2 of this thread).

I am not sure if allowed in England... but if they are I would recommend it... cannot hurt.

This will prevent siphoning of trap we discussed earlier. I hope that does it... at least this guy is willing to look into it for you...

AND KATETEA... try what HK suggested about your dishwasher... if you have an integral disposal unit.. it could have some food particles stuck/breaking down in it and that could cause odor.

My bet at this time though is that you should replace parts and install a new automatic vent. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Feb 20, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Thanks hkstroud, I didn't think changing them would help either, especially since they were clean, but I imagine that is what the landlord will want first. I think this is grounds to get out of our lease early! Had enough of these fumes for the past 9 months. Literally sick and tired of it.. thanks for your information!

Feb 20, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Thanks Mass for your help too. The plumber is going to call the landlord to find out what he wants done. Im just so tired of it all, the smell, the runaournd, the nothing getting done. So its nice to be able to "vent" (ha) on here. But I truly do appreciate all of your suggestions on here! Will let you know what happens.. if??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 10:14 AM
    "Also found out that the stack ends at our floor since the ones above us is a penthouse." Who told you this? The entire building gets vented to the roof, penthouse or no. Stacks terminate in the open air above the roof line of they won't work properly. I agree that replacing those pipe under the sink are a waste of someone's money. The smell isn't there with cold water, right? There is no smell at other fixtures hot or cold so its not bacteria in the water heater. I am about to say stick a fork in me cause I'm done. I have run out of logical solutions, sorry.

Feb 20, 2008, 11:49 AM
    The plumber today said that, like he wasn't surprised as if the penthouse is different? My partner said that one of the plumbers told him that it was OK to do it this way because we were up high? Sounds like a story to me... unless they do things different here in england. Doesn't make you feel too safe though. And right the smell doesn't come with cold... the cold takes the odor away... only the hot brings it. No need to be sorry, I appreciate all the information and help! Thanks!

Feb 20, 2008, 12:10 PM
    "smell doesnt come with cold... the cold takes the odor away... only the hot brings it" This makes me think its not a vent or a trap problem. Run a bucket of hot water and take the bucket to another room and smell it. Does tha water have the odor you are smelling?

Feb 20, 2008, 12:13 PM
    We run the hot water and shut it off and less than 5 min the odor comes up from the sink... but I can try the bucket of hot water and see

Feb 20, 2008, 12:22 PM
    I tried doing what you said but there is no odor to the water... I'm up to any suggestions that might help :)

Feb 20, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Sorry but I thought that possibly you had a contaminated water supply pipe but apparently not. Maybe MASS will think of something we have not explored but this one is very, very unusual. Does the last plumber smell the odor?

Feb 20, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Its OK... like I said it doesn't hurt to try anything. I think everyone is worn out trying to figure this one out . Its so nice that everyone has been helpful with so many different causes it could be. And yes, the plumber did smell the odor today but he can't figure out where its coming from, especially since the pipes were clean. Said he could replace them all but couldn't guarantee it would get rid of the odor, and if it doesn't then it is probably the stack. I will post on here when I do find out what it was. Thanks again!

Feb 20, 2008, 02:40 PM
    In all of our posts I had forgotten that this is an apartment. Time to get tough with the landlord and tell him sewer gas is a health hazard and he must get this fixed maybe even mention it to your local health department and/or building inspector to see what they think.

Feb 27, 2008, 08:35 AM
    Hi , the people that built this building came by today to see if they can figure out what the problem is, they checked the pipes and said nothing was wrong with them. I asked them about the stack not going to the roof and they told me it didn't have to , that it was sealed off? So I don't know what that means. They also looked at the side of the dishwasher, they wouldn't pull it out because they didn't install it and didn't want to chance doing something to the floor or the dishwasher. Anyway they said that by looking through to the side of the dishwasher that it didn't have a vent on it? And that is no doubt what is causing the odor when the hotwater is ran. Now its up to us to try and get the landlord (once again) to see if this is the problem. Just wanted to let you know what is going on... and on... and on... still

Feb 27, 2008, 08:44 AM
    The person who came by was not very knowledgeable about plumbing. The vent is not on a dishwasher at all. They were blowing smoke at you. The drain pipes have vents not the individual fixtures and you can not cap of a vent stack and expect a system to work. If they built the building why would they build a vent pipe and then seal it off. I'm am so close to telling you to call the local building inspecter or health department.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor in kitchen sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

I have a "vomit " like smell coming from my kitchen sink drains. There are no leaks under the sink, or under the house from pipes leading from kitchen sink. Ive have tried draino, bleach, etc, but odor is still there. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dan Cravens

Odor coming from kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

There is a sewer gas smell coming from my kitchen sink. When I first bought the house the washer backed up and the rotor-rooter guy said that the main drain has two large pipes coming into it at the same place and not to run the dishwasher and washer at the same time. Would weekly applications of a...

How do I get rid of kitchen sink odor? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of midew in the kitchen sink?

Strong Odor Emitting From Bathroom Sink. [ 3 Answers ]

We are experiencing a strong septic odor from our bathroom sink. This is the second time this month it has happened, it also appears to happen when the weather is cold? Any ideas what may be causing this problem,and any solutions to offer.. Thank you.

View more questions Search