Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Deep freeze in western Greenland
    January 30th:

Warmer temperatures are also accelerating ice melt on the nearby Greenland ice sheet, which contains enough ice to raise sea level by seven metres (23 feet). Mass loss in Greenland more than doubled between 1996 and 2005, with loss in the southeast accelerating even further since 2004. The summer of 2007 saw a record area of ice melt on Greenland, 10 per cent more than the previous maximum in 2005.
    February 12th:

The ice between Canada and southwestern Greenland has reached its highest level in 15 years.

Minus 30 degrees Celsius. That's how cold it's been in large parts of western Greenland where the population has been bundling up in hats and scarves. At the same time, Denmark's Meteorological Institute states that the ice between Canada and southwest Greenland right now has reached its greatest extent in 15 years.

'Satellite pictures show that the ice expansion has extended farther south this year. In fact, it's a bit past the Nuuk area. We have to go back 15 years to find ice expansion so far south. On the eastern coast it hasn't been colder than normal, but there has been a good amount of snow.'
    Just thought I'd keep you updated on the global warming crisis. Seems the evidence continues to show global warming is indeed "manmade." :D
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 03:00 PM
    That's some very interesting reading. While there are some things we could do to make our lives and our planet put on a happy face, freaking out about temperature fluctuations shouldn't be on the list. :cool:

Name:  Global temps chart.gif
Views: 32
Size:  108.7 KB
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I Have to admit that the summer down under here has made me severely doubt the threat of climate change. Im not speaking officially here but we are currently experiencing the coldest summer in my memory. And don't I hate it. Im a beach guy. I live on the beach and this summer there's hardly been a day worthwhile to head down there.
    Im not like you though Steve who completely discounts climate change but I am skeptical.

To counter my statement above though I definitely notice a massive difference in the winter temp (much warmer) and ocean temperatures.

I think the world definitely needs to continue to research climate change and what we can do to improve the quality of this planet.

Aren't we better off spending the money now and finding out later it wasn't as big a threat as we though than not spending the money, completely discounting it and finding out later how terribly wrong we were?
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Sounds like Greenland is moving west….melting in the east and icing-up in the west.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    I Have to admit that the summer down under here has made me severely doubt the threat of climate change. Im not speaking officially here but we are currently experiencing the coldest summer in my memory. And don't I hate it. Im a beach guy. I live on the beach and this summer there's hardly been a day worthwhile to head down there.
    Im not like you though Steve who completely discounts climate change but I am skeptical.
    A little skepticism is healthy. :)

Just to clear things up though, I have never completely discounted climate change. In fact, I go by the mantra that "climate change happens."

To counter my statement above though I definitely notice a massive difference in the winter temp (much warmer) and ocean temperatures.

I think the world definitely needs to continue to research climate change and what we can do to improve the quality of this planet.

Aren't we better off spending the money now and finding out later it wasn't as big a threat as we though than not spending the money, completely discounting it and finding out later how terribly wrong we were?
    Again, global warming skeptics don't "completely discount" climate change. I think we can all agree clean air and water and all that is a good thing, but can we stop politicizing it?

We've heard the horror stories of Polar bears endangered by the loss of ice while polar bears are actually thriving - even in warmer areas. We even have a report from Greenland of Polar bears starving because of too much ice. We hear the fears of Antarctic ice loss at the same time we have reports of record Antarctic ice. Not to mention the reports I posted earlier about "Iran's heaviest snowfall in recent years," "for the first time in living memory there has been snow in the country's southern deserts" of Iran and the worst snow storms in China in 50 years.

Can't we just be honest about it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deep Deep Depths [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the approximate depth of the deepest point in the ocean? Any ocean, the deepest one obviously hahaha Thanks

Western Civilization [ 1 Answers ]

What were some of the ways that classical Greece set a standard for the west? How did western philosophy evolve in Greece in the sixth century?

Western [ 3 Answers ]

Any of you fans of western movies seen one from the 70's in which I think it's luke askew whose wife is raped in a barn right on the main street and he is shot; the wife eventually takes up with the attacker who kidnaps her and holds her hostage or something like that?

Western Civilization [ 1 Answers ]

I am taking western civilization and the question asks to" trace the stages in transition from a nomadic to an agriculture society."

Western Civilization 1 [ 1 Answers ]

Question: Compare and contrast the basic teachings of Stoicism and Epicureanism. Which philosophy do you prefer and why?

View more questions Search