Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Innovation-engineer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Constant-Force Device
    Are there other constant force springs or devices available besides these types?

Constant Force Spring - Vulcan Spring

Thanks,
    Joe
    shonny7 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 10:11 PM
    There is no conceptual spring as constant force. Each spring is elastic in its nature, as you apply some force on it, it elongates. Now you could have linear or non-linear behavior of spring force-elongation curve. For ex. Consider a spring which elongates by 1 mm after an application of 1 N, this is linear behavior, contrary to this; consider spring which elongates first 1mm, then .5mm, then .25, etc, the behavior is non-linear.

In conclusion, at any given force, spring would elongate, and based on application of the force spring length will change. So, point is you couldn't really have constant force spring. There are heavy duty springs which applies constant force/dissipate similar amount of energy, but they need a static or dynamic equilibrium, which is very difficult to obtain. Anyway, hope this helps.
    Innovation-engineer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 07:34 PM
    I guess I understand from a typical spring F=kx relationship, but if you look at the vulcan springs website it talks of constant force springs that do in fact provide a constant force as they move along and uncoil or coil back up. Please explain how these work and if there are any problems associated with these types of springs.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by shonny7
    There is no conceptual spring as constant force. Each spring is elastic in its nature, as you apply some force on it, it elongates. Now you could have linear or non-linear behavior of spring force-elongation curve. For ex. consider a spring which elongates by 1 mm after an application of 1 N, this is linear behavior, contrary to this; consider spring which elongates first 1mm, then .5mm, then .25,, etc, the behavior is non-linear.

In conclusion, at any given force, spring would elongate, and based on application of the force spring length will change. So, point is you couldnt really have constant force spring. There are heavy duty springs which applies constant force/dissipate similar amount of energy, but they need a static or dynamic equilibrium, which is very difficult to obtain. Anyway, hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confederate air force/ Commemorative air force [ 5 Answers ]

Are Lefty Gardner and Lloyd Nolan still alive? If so where can I find good information on the start of the Confederate Air force on line. There is a lot of info on the new Commemorative Air force, but very little on the old.

Constant vibration [ 2 Answers ]

There seems to be a vibration that sounds to me like an unbalanced clothes washer or a very loud clock. I can hear it when the furnace is not running. The system is located in a crawl space under the house and I am not knowledgeable or mechanically oriented but I would like to have an idea what it...

Acceleration Constant [ 1 Answers ]

A bolt comes loose from the bottom of an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.04 m/s. The bolt reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft in 4.30 s. How high up was the elevator when the bolt came loose?

Constant fatigue [ 14 Answers ]

I am so tired all of the time, I can’t seem to cope with working. I come home and I just want to go to sleep straight away. If it wasn’t for my boyfriend I doubt I would manage to even eat dinner. Sometimes I just cry myself to sleep I’m so physically exhausted. When I’m on my course full time I...

Constant freezing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a few questions to ask I'm so unhappy with my Windows Me recently. It freezes 10 or 15 minutes after the computer is turned on. No matter if I'm on the net or just playying boring card games, it just freezes. I try ctrl+ alt+ delete to close the program that is not responding but I...

View more questions Search