Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ist_time Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Theft under $5000
    Hi everyone
    So I am looking for some advice. I am 21,committed a theft under 5000 few days ago for the first time- don't ask me what I was thinking cause I wish I was thinking! I took items amounting to $70.00. The Loss prevention of the store called the police and made me sign a few documents. Basically, the documents ban me from the store for 1 yr and the mall for 1 yr as well. They also mentioned that I will receive a letter in the mail asking me to pay the store the cost of their time and damages etc. I asked for the amt, they said it'll be around $480.00. I can pay that amt but I hope they don't keep asking me to pay them on account of them being able to sue me. The police came and asked me why I did it and I told them I wasn't thinking. I work at a bank and am really ashamed to talk to anyone about all this. This site seemed appropriate, can someone please tell me what to do. The police has given me a fingerprint date and a court appearance date. I asked the cop to give me alternate measures but he said I might not attend the program or something so he doesn't want to. My court date is on March 28,08-Help advise the best action. I don't want a criminal record, I want to move up in the bank or go into law and it will affect everything in my life.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ist_time
    Hi everyone
    So I am looking for some advice. I am 21,comitted a theft under 5000 few days ago for the first time- don't ask me what I was thinking cause I wish I was thinking! I took items amounting to $70.00. The Loss prevention of the store called the police and made me sign a few documents. Basically, the documents ban me from the store for 1 yr and the mall for 1 yr as well. They also mentioned that I will receive a letter in the mail asking me to pay the store the cost of their time and damages etc. I asked for the amt, they said it'll be around $480.00. I can pay tht amt but I hope they don't keep asking me to pay them on account of them being able to sue me. The police came and asked me why I did it and I told them I wasn't thinking. I work at a bank and am really ashamed to talk to anyone about all this. This site seemed appropriate, can someone please tell me what to do. The police has given me a fingerprint date and a court appearance date. I asked the cop to give me alternate measures but he said I might not attend the program or something so he doesn;t want to. My court date is on March 28,08-Help advise the best action. I don't want a criminal record, I want to move up in the bank or go into law and it will affect everything in my life.

I wouldn't handle this myself - I would hire an Attorney. You are talking about the rest of your life here - you are going to have to get around signing what probably was an admission of guilt.

It sounds like the store and the mall aren't joking around.

Feb 18, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Yes, I think I want legal help but I don't know if I can afford a lawyer. Either way , don't I still end up with a criminal record? That's one thing I can't have, I plan on going into law school or even moving up in the bank and it will cost me all I have. I pay for school through my job and can't lose it.

I'm willing to pay fines and do community service - alternate measures as long as I don't get a record.
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Yes, I think I want legal help but I don't know if I can afford a lawyer. Either way , don't I still end up with a criminal record?? That's one thing I can't have, I plan on going into law school or even moving up in the bank and it will cost me all I have. I pay for school through my job and can't lose it.

I'm willing to pay fines and do community service - alternate measures as long as I don't get a record.

There are no guarantees concerning the criminal record. That's the "beauty" of an Attorney who might be able to make things go away through negotiation, negotiate a fine and/or community service. Something this minor should not affect your ability to get into law school or pass the ethics part of the Bar; I have no idea what the bank would think.

Wish I had a guarantee of a result for you but I don't.

Feb 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    There are no guarantees concerning the criminal record. That's the "beauty" of an Attorney who might be able to make things go away through negotiation, negotiate a fine and/or community service. Something this minor should not affect your ability to get into law school or pass the ethics part of the Bar; I have no idea what the bank would think.

Wish I had a guarantee of a result for you but I don't.

I know,I guess its just a matter of finding a good attorney who is not super expensive. Such a huge cost to pay for something so not worth it, if only I had stopped to think of the cosequences for 10 seconds...
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
    I know,I guess its just a matter of finding a good attorney who is not super expensive. Such a huge cost to pay for something so not worth it, if only I had stopped to think of the cosequences for 10 seconds...

Do you qualify for legal aid, some type of legal assistance through school?

Feb 18, 2008, 01:43 PM
    NO , I dn't think so anyway. Moreover, I'd rather keep my school out of all this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft under 5000. Again? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for a large retail company where I worked as a manager and I stole money almost at the 5000 dollar amount.. it was 4 transactions.. I have a newborn daughter and my wife, my daughter and I were living outside of our means. That's what brought me to do it. I had a case 4 years ago when I...

Theft Under 5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so basically I was charged for theft under in December of 2006, and I'm 18 years of age. I gave back some of the things I've taken, but not some others.. anyway, I went to take fingerprints and all that good stuff, and then I got a letter in the mail saying I don't have to go to court, that...

Theft under 5000 [ 21 Answers ]

Sorry this may be really long. Please help and reply. Okay this is my first post because I am really worrying about this thing. I stole a Playstation Portable from a student at my school. I sold it to another student at my school. It doesn't really matter now but the Principals found out. In...

View more questions Search