Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaeTrue
    I took the patch off yesterday and decided to go cold turkey from there on out.
    I figure, I'm mean and hateful gradually weaning myself off which takes a while,
    I might as well just get it over with all at once so I can hopefully start feeling better.
    Allheart, I have a big bag of Halls and I'm trying that.
    Perfect, I hope it goes real smooth from here on out. You really are doing a fine job! Good work AK, so proud of you!;)
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Thanks start.

I once again changed my game plan.
    Cold turkey was NOT going to work and I would have ended up smoking.
    I'm not having a problem with the habit to pick up a cigarette and smoke it,
    So I believe what's making me so miserable is the nicotine withdrawals.
    You talk about an emotional rolorcoster...
    I decided to skip the step 2 patch and went right to
    Wearing the last stage step 3 patch just to take the edge off.
    It's working. I'm not nearly as miserable.

I read something that said my brain is ALWAYS going to want and crave nicotine.
    Does anyone know if that's true?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Ak I quit in 1999 using the patch for the first week. I don't think I could have made it that first week with out the patch. I had smoked since 11 or 12 years of age. Of course that was after several failed attempts and different methods of trying.

Sometimes I still get a strong urge to smoke. I can feel the nicotine in my lungs as I deeply inhale(I would probably pass out) but this urge is not everyday. I can even buy the hubby a carton and leave them in the car ( with me )instead of putting them in the trunk.
    I know what hell it would be to get hooked again and I would get hooked if I smoked.
    I went through the nightmares and not sleeping etc... for months after I stopped smoking.
    I was told by a doctor after a back to back about of Bronchitis if I continued smoking that it would progress into another disease and another... so it scared me enough to make me get serious about quitting.

I did this before the patches to get prepared to stop smoking.
    1.I started carrying 1 pack then 1/2 pack until finally I would only carry a few, until I was finally able to allow myself to completely run out and then go to the store and pick up a pack. The store was only a block away.Big for me!
    2.No smoking after a meal for at least 5 minutes then as the weeks progressed, I waited longer between a meals and a cig.
    3. Next I started only smoking in certain rooms in my home for instant just the living room. My car and outside were also places I could smoke and as many as I wanted
    4. After I got used to that, I started using only the hallway... just sitting there staring down the steps no book, no t.v no food or drink, nothing but me and my cig sitting there in boredom. ( I don't like boredom)
    5. I started no smoking in my car, if I wanted a cig I had to pull over and get out and smoke outside.
    6. No smoking with my right hand only with my left hand.
    7. Brush my teeth, use mouth wash or swish with water every time I smoked one.each of these steps, I did them about 2- 3 weeks before I moved onto the next step.
    I had read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks to develop a habit of doing something.(not sure if this is true, but I figured what the heck)

Here are some tips that helped me after I started using the patch.
    1.Deep breathing... slowly in your nose with mouth closed until you flll your lungs then slowly exhale through your mouth... supposed to give you the same amount of oxygen/feeling as when you inhale a cig deeply. ( it worked for me)
    2. every 20 minutes suck on a couple of tic tacs.
    3. drink plenty of water, try to stay away from caffeine.
    4. take more than 1 shower a day.
    5. every time I had an urge to smoke so bad I wanted to cry, I cursed the maker of my cig's. My mantra became "damn you phillip morris", just the thoughts of those ba$tards getting rich on my dying a$$ helped me, not to light up.

I was the type of smoker that made sure that I had at least 2 packs of cigs at all times and 2 lighters. I never went anywhere that smoking was not allowed or rode any car where I could not smoke. I was hooked, they were my best friend and worst enemy.
    I'm the type of person that hates not to be in control. Yes, it took awhile for me to accept that cig's had a lot of control over me. So I slowly changed that.

Before I started the patch, I had tried hypnosis in March (didn't stop but they said it could take a couple of months... who know's) and then used the patch in July. I Bought the patches beforehand and ran out of cigs before my stop date and said phooey on it, put on a patch instead of buying another pack... I went to bed a few minutes later and figured I would fight the demon when I woke up well rested with 6-7 hours of not having a cig.
    July 2008 will be 9 years and I still don't have any money. But I do have more junk in my trunk, guess I will have to work on that. The only downside to not smoking is food, it taste so much better.

I hope this long, detailed account helps someone, I know how hard it is to stop. Good Luck
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:52 PM
    AK, in time it gets easier, but it may be that it is always a fight not to have one if you are tempted, I know it always has been for me. I have quit I think three times now, one of those times was for more than a year. I was hangin with a friend and she was outside smoking, finally after an hour of sitting on the back deck, I just picked up her smokes and had me one... bought a pack and hid them for a while, then I just started back up all the way again. I am hoping that when I do finally decide to take the plunge, that I can hold off on those types of cravings, it scares me that I would work so hard then "let" myself start all over again. It is a scary thing to go through, a hard thing to go through, and in my eyes you are doing the best you can, I hope it gets much easier for you. This is really a wonderful step you are taking and I am soooo proud of you. Hugs!
    Stringer, go for it, this will be the best thing you can do, your grandchildren are so sweet and your kids still need you around for all those things you got to teach them still. This world would be a sad place without Stringer.
    bushg, you have lighten my road with all of your great tips, thank you for that! And you should be proud to say that you don't smoke anymore.:)
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:47 AM
    Kae and Stringer their the best
    There so strong and up to the test
    It's going to be hard and not real easy
    But with our love it will all be breezy :)

Gooooooooooo Kae Goooooooooooooooo Stringer
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:27 PM
    bushg, that was a perfect post.
    Thank you for sharing your story with us and for giving us the tips that helped you stop. It was definitely helpful.
    I am using the patch as well.

Allheart, thanks for the cheer! And they're not fallen on their bums LOL it was perfect and brought a smile and a giggle to me today.
    You made that up yourself, didn't you? That's awesome LOL!:D

Start, This will be the 3rd time quiting for me as well.
    The first time was when I was pregnant with my daughter.
    I was grumpy for a few days, and probably thought about smoking for a couple months after,
    But don't remember it being that big of a deal.
    Then a few months after she was born, we had a few smoking friends over
    And a few wine coolers and that was it for me, hooked again.

Then when I was pregnant with my son, I was disciplined enough to
    Smoke very little and wean off them in the first 2 months
    But once again went back to it.

I think it's harder each time around, much, much, much harder.
    I'm not saying this to scare you, I'm just saying it because I'm imagining,
    If I were to ever start back again, what the next time would be like
    When this time is pure hell.
    If you can keep in mind that, then there is hope not to start back again.

I don't want to be a smoker till the day I die.
    Noticing that it gets harder and harder is a good enough reason for me to quit for good. I don't particularly like torturing myself LOL:)
    And don't ever want to go through this again.
    I think I'm old enough and mature enough to realize that now LOL.

Stringer I wish you the best of luck come Tuesday.
    Have you tried quiting before?

Oh and, I had to go buy step 2 patches, so once again the game plan changed.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
    YES... I thought about it probably 4,627 times, maybe more.

But after 40 some years of smoking I have quit maybe 3 times. Although it is not funny, way back, I would be driving home and decide to quit, throwing the pack of cigarettes out the car window. Only to go back an hour later on my hands and knees going through the weeds and garbage looking for them... bad, sad, but true.

It is going to be hell and I know it. For example, how can I sit here at the computer without smoking? This is the only room (my office) where I smoke in the house? I am going to be a bastard, and Marta knows this. Once about 6 years ago, I quit for 3 weeks, I drove everyone "Up The Wall." finally (I guess to save our marriage) she said... "Damn......go have a cigarette dear......"

But I am going to try again... need too, I can feel the bad effects from smoking now... hopefully the Chantix will assist and I can beat this.

Addictions are different for each person, I believe that I have an addictive personally. And the daily stress from business is only going to compound the problem. But here we go... Tuesday at 10 am, doctor's appointment!#@%%.

Love you, I will need a lot of patience and cheers from you,

Stringer
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I quit smoking -- COLD TURKEY -- I quit 40 years ago -- had a few bad dreams

I feel much healthier and feel smoking could have killed me -- I have Asthma

And have been diagnosed as having COPD... I've saved a ton of money and

Feel I am at less risk of getting lung cancer... A person gets older and wiser

-- the punishment you inflict on your body will cost you when you're older...
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Thanks biggsie, I hope to look back and be able to say the same thing.

Stringer, I talked to one of my mothers friends this evening that quit smoking with Chantix. He smoked for over 40 years too and was successful at quiting.
    I also chatted with a cashier when I was buying my patches and she told me that her husband smoked for over 40 years too and quit with Chantix.
    After that I was thinking... is 40 the magical number to stop LOL!

At the beginning I'm sure it is going to be rough.
    I never smoked in my house or car, so I didn't have much trouble there, but
    Tonight I wanted to drink a glass of wine after dinner and couldn't because wine and cigarettes just go together for me.
    That will be a tough one for me.

Since you mentioned smoking at the computer,
    That might be the habit you feel is going to be the hardest to break,
    Try not smoking at the computer from now until Tuesday and see what happens.

You will be able to beat this, just stay determined - like the man I know you are!
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Stringer??
    You know what I'm wondering... :)
    Business Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 11:20 PM
    What..
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 01:39 AM
    I just wanted to insert this because it seemed to be appropriate for this thread. You know what Mark Twain said about smoking, don't you?

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.
    Mark Twain
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I just wanted to insert this because it seemed to be appropriate for this thread. You know what Mark Twain said about smoking, don't you?
    Cough, thanks a lot! :D
    Stringer, I suppose you are going to make us ask a thousand times before eyou tell us how it went on Tuesday?:rolleyes:
    AK, how you doing good lookin'?:D
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
    LOL, good ole Mark Twain! Thanks Clough!

Stringer, I was wondering about how the doctors apt went, but I later read what you wrote about it.
    Are you suppose to to take the Chantix while smoking?
    Then quit cold turkey while still taking the medication?

****Something I've noticed with using the patches and was wondering
    If anyone knew what I am experiencing.

The booklet for the program only goes by weeks on the different steps and gives no indication when to step down otherwise.

When I was on step one, right before I stepped down a level, I felt achy, kind of sick, dizzy/dazed, and very hateful.
    I was going to go cold turkey because I felt so crappy,
    But that feeling went away after a day of not wearing the patch and I
    Started having withdrawals so opted to wear step 2.
    Things were going fine, I didn't feel sick anymore
    And that hateful feeling was gone.

Yesterday I noticed the beginning of that achy feeling again,
    And as today has gone on, that sick feeling is coming back just as it did before.

I'm wondering if this is the patch doing this to me?
    Or if it could be something else?

I think I'm feeling symptoms of having too much nicotine in my system,
    But is that possible after so little time?
    Especially when the program booklet mentions nothing of this happening?
    Business Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Hi AK and Start,

Instructions are to start the Chantix and smoke for two weeks, then "cold turkey", according to my Doc. Marta is shopping around for pricing on the prescription (My ins does not cover this) pricing. So far after checking 7 pharmacies, it looks like Mejier Pharmacy is the cheapest; $128,00 for the "starter kit." Walgreen's price was about $140.00 for the same thing.

Then I am to start the "second phase", it looks like the pricing for this phase varies A LOT. The pricing varies from $140.00 to as low as $45.00, wonder why? I will research that further though.

This is what I know at this point, when I get the prescription there will be more info. I want to check out the side effects in depth.

AK, I used the patch years ago. One of the problems that I had was that I itched a lot. I put the patch on my arm, I itched all over but especially where the patch was.

Honestly, having quit so many times before, I think the other things are "side effects" you are feeling from quiting. It effects a lot of areas, physical, emotional, etc. It is from withdrawal, most of it is psychosomatic ( both mind and body), and even so, it is a definite pain in the a**. But I remember before, even though I started smoking again, "this too shall pass." dear.

Kepp sending me helpful thoughts...
    Stringer
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Stringer, thank you for all that you wrote.

You know what really helps me, and it may not for others, but it certainly does for me.
    -Looking at pictures! Pictures of smokers, pictures of smokers lungs.
    -Thinking about sick people that need an oxygen tank to breath,
    But still reach for that cigarette, and how sorry I feel for them.

Stuff like that helps me to stay focused on the reason why I'm not smoking
    And helps to reinforce not picking up a cigarette.

Now would be a good time to stop smoking at your desk.
    If you try breaking this habit now, it will be one less thing you'll
    Have to give up in 2 weeks.

I cannot drink my wine. It's driving me crazy:eek:
    But I know it would be a set back if I were to drink it.

Try to sacrifice a little now so that's it's a lot easier process on you when the time comes to actually stop smoking the cigarettes.
    LOL, it's still cold where you are right?
    Make yourself go stand outside in the cold when you smoke:D
    And in doing that, you might even cut down on how much you smoke of the cigarette.

I know it sounds like torture, and I'm not trying to torture you - I promise.
    But this will be a hard challenge, and I'm sure you're aware of that fact.
    However, I know you can do this! I just know you can!

Let us know how you feel when you start taking the medication today!!
    Good luck!
    Business Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Thanks AK, good advice, to be truthful, I probably won't stop doing anything until the day I am supposed to quit. That's probably true, and I want to be honest with myself here.

Obviously another reason to quit, if we need anymore, is for others. Me; for my wife, you; for your children. Among the many reasons that make sense, this is one of my motivators.

Start... what can I say, I can feel you right beside me here while I do this. A voice in my ear, coaxing me on, and ready to drop the hammer on me too... hee hee, if needed-right?

Thanks everyone, getting closer to "Q" Day...
    Stringer
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Make yourself hate them everyday from now until then write down everything awful that you can think of. They stink, they cost too much, they cause wrinkles around your mouth, gum cancer etc... I'm wishing you luck.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 05:09 PM
    AK, you are doing wonderfully!
    Stringer, you are on your way to better health and you will notice it soon! I promise!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Stringer you are the only one that knows what's going to work best for you
    And we will be here to support you:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any medicines out there to help stop Smoking? [ 14 Answers ]

Dear Expert Any one have a good method to helping people to stop smoke ? Have any medicine can help ?Is expensive ? Thanks Dick

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

How to make some one stop chain smoking [ 4 Answers ]

Hey there, I'm kaushal here.. now I have one big problem there.. my brother is becoming chain smoker now a days... and I don't want that.. so if any suggestion would help me to stop him even smoking... I want him to stop smoking completely... please ans me...

I want him to stop smoking. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone.. I want to ask is smoking bad to ones health?? I know a guy he is smoking since sckool dayz and now he is 27 yesterday I talked with him our topic waz smoking he says no one dies from smoking.. is this true?? I want to stop him from smoking what should I tell him.. when ever I say...

View more questions Search