Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catsareniice1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 04:43 AM
    Does anyone know if this is this slander??
    My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress.

My husband used to severely bad mouth the friend that he is currently living with and I would like to warn his friend to be careful of my husband.

I would like to send his friend a note warning him to be careful of my husband's loyalty as he is living with these people to hide his relationship with his mistress. He is basically using these people. Although, I do not wish to physically harm my husband, I would like to rain on his parade. I am hoping that my genuine, heartfelt note may cause his friends to kick him out of their house.

If I send his friend a note informing him that he was severely talked about by my husband would this be considered slander/ can I get into trouble legally for sending such a note?

Thank you for your time helping me in my matter.
    Melissa
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 04:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsareniice1
    My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress.

My husband used to severly bad mouth the friend that he is currently living with and I would like to warn his friend to be careful of my husband.

I would like to send his friend a note warning him to be careful of my husband's loyalty as he is living with these people to hide his relationship with his mistress. He is basically using these people. Although, I do not wish to physically harm my husband, I would like to rain on his parade. I am hoping that my genuine, heartfelt note may cause his friends to kick him out of their house.

If I send his friend a note informing him that he was severly talked about by my husband would this be considered slander/ can I get into trouble legally for sending such a note?

Thank you for your time helping me in my matter.
    Melissa

I do not believe you can get into trouble as it would be seen as a domestic and as long as you have not done anything to hpysically harm them I don't see how you would get into trouble...

But I will stress that the friends your husband is staying with will not see your note as anything but you trying to cause trouble and your husband will enforce that that is what you are doing. This will make things greatly difficult for you and your friends will turn their backs on you. I would strongly advise against this. The truth will come out in the end it always does!!
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Jan 23, 2006, 04:57 AM
    I can see the cause of your concern, with the friend that your husband is currently livivng with. You could try to drop the friend a note but I warn you it may back fire. Are these friends mutul friends of yours and your husband? Or they only your husbands? Either way these friends may view you as a "woman scorn" and think that your just trying to make your husband look bad. Im asuming they have already taken his side if they are letting him stay with them.
    It sounds as if your soon-to-be ex husband isn't a very honest person if he is going to stay with friends that he bad mouthed behind there back. He is probably just using them and taking advantage of there generosity.
    To be honest if I were in this situation I would just stay out of it. I wouldn't want to appear as if I were trying to get revenge, because you know that these friends more than likely wouldn't believe me.
    Im sure these friends will find out at some point how disloyal your husband is. Living under the same roof with someone you tend to see a person's true colors come out. Good luck with everything.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Reminds me of an old legal saying: "It ain't slander if it's the truth." To be nit-picky you are talking about libel. More here: http://www.dancingwithlawyers.com/freeinfo/libel.shtml
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Hi,
    If you can stay out of it, please do. You will only end up with things being said about you, and possibly causing yourself more grief.
    Lawsuits come about all the time using words like "slander", "libel", etc, and can be very expensive, time consuming, and it is always up to a Court to decide what, if anything, will be done.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 06:24 AM
    I can understand your anger,but don't let it make you sink so low as it makes you, not him look bad.Hold your head up and show him, his friends, and yourself that you have improved yourself by him leaving,Stay away from these nuts for right now.Remember "what goes around comes around"!:cool:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Anger
    Don't lower yourself to such levels.

You want to hurt him because he has hurt you. Just get the divorce, don't ever contact him again, and get on with your life.

Divorces can get real dirty real fast and no one needs that.

And what good would the note do anyone, the friend will not believe you, since you are now just the EX trying to cause trouble. If he is, the friend will find out soon enough anyway.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsareniice1
    If I send his friend a note informing him that he was severly talked about by my husband would this be considered slander/ can I get into trouble legally for sending such a note?
    Hi,
    You are angry, I get that. But that note, it can bs slander, even if it is the truth. Because remember, you have to be able to prove it is the truth. Can you?

Perhaps just tell your friend this verbally instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can the landlord slander the tenant for no reason [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Thermopolis, Wyoming right now. Been here 8 months. Landlord was nice until my husband and I confronted her on all her lies. Does she have the right to slander us to other tentants and if not, what can we do about it. The owners of the property really don't care what she does because she...

Can I sue for slander? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been falsely accused of filing a lawsuit against a business. I use to work there and then I quit for a different job. The owner is pissed off because his business has suffered since I left the management position, so he has been telling all his customers that I am suing him for an accident...

View more questions Search