Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 18, 2008, 12:55 AM
    Odd dog behaviour
    I am dog sitting for a friends 2 yr old male zu (Sam). I have a female Am Eskie/Lab who is 4 yrs. The 2 dogs have known each other for quite sometime, but it has always been at the zu's home. They get along quite well with each other.

My dog seems to be having some jealousy issues since little Sam has been here... which I'm not really surprised of, seeing that this is "her" home. They've had a few issues with toys and treats, but nothing major. My dog seems to take the role of pack leader, and Sam seems to just follow her lead... no big problems except when it comes to my attention. There is no aggressive behaviour, but just fighting for my attention.

Which gets me to my point. I quite often fall asleep on my sofa, and my dog has her pillow on the floor by my head. When Sam got here, I pulled out an old doggie bed for him to sleep in... right near us so he will feel like part of "the pack". Well, now Sam has started this strange behaviour. When I am up and about, and my dog is doing her thing, Sam jumps up on my sofa and scratches at my pillow furiously. He then grabs it and drags it off and puts it on top of MY dogs pillow, and then goes and does the same with my blanket... but takes it and drags it far away. Only then will she get into the dog bed that I have for her... or sometimes she will go into my bedroom to sleep all by herself.

I just find this a curious behaviour, and actually quite funny. Sam doesn't object or seem sad when I put the bedding back, but when I'm not looking he will do the same thing all over again.

Any dog phychologists out there? Haha! Sam is eating just fine and doesn't seem to show any separation issues as far as I can tell.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 05:31 AM
    The dogs are going to be acting different in each environment. Acts of jealousy in your home by your dog is normal I would expect.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 18, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I would like to think I'm pretty experienced with dog behavior, but this is pretty odd!
    Sam seems to be concentrating on things that predominately have your smell--but why the pillow in one place and the blanket in another? Plus he goes to your room to nap. I'm not sure how these relate.
    If this is an attention-seeking behavior, it is the most elaborate one I have ever heard of. Or does Sam have a secret desire to become an interior designer?
    Anyone else with any ideas?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 09:04 PM
    I think Sam need his own pillow, one without the female's scent. One from Sam's home might have been ideal.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 19, 2008, 01:15 AM
    I laughed my A$$ off at little Sammie having interior design dreams, lol.

I might have thought it was an issue with feeling familiar to home. Or that he had problems with my smell (haha) but he isn't just doing this with my pillow and blanket, he is dragging my dogs things away too. He's pretty sneaky about it... I have a hard time catching him in the act. He has a couple of his fave toys from home, so I don't think it's the smell he's missing. Otherwise, he seems quite happy here. He is always eager to play with both me and Niki... with Niki taking the dominant role, and Sam seems happy to be the follower.

I also thought maybe Sam was just trying to claim his territory, maybe just his way of "marking it?" or maybe it's just a fun activity he's found? As far as I know he doesn't do this at home.

Obviously this is not a huge problem, in fact I find it amusing (well at times) but along with the rest of you, I'm a dog lover, and I like to figure these things out so I know how the dog is feeling and make sure he's comfortable and feels safe here. Maybe he's like a kid on vacation trying to get away with something that he might not at home... hmmm.

Thanks for all your answers you guys! I know there are other ?'s on here that are more important (sick dogs etc) I just thought I would throw this one out there for curiousity sake. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 12:05 AM
    Or go buy two dog pillows, different colors, but the same kind and shape. Take away the normal sleeping material and let the dogs pick which one they like. Now they are on equal ground.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 12:10 AM
    Sam sounds adorable. How long will he be staying with you? If it's not long and he's eating and sleeping I wouldn't worry. Whenever we go away and have to leave our dogs behind I give the sitter a pair of old pajamas that I wear for two nights before we leave. That way the dogs can smell me and not be so homesick when I'm gone.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 20, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Sam sounds adorable. How long will he be staying with you? If it's not long and he's eating and sleeping I wouldn't worry. Whenever we go away and have to leave our dogs behind I give the sitter a pair of old pajamas that I wear for two nights before we leave. That way the dogs can smell me and not be so homesick when I'm gone.
    Sam just went home tonight :( But now I have a different prob. Now Niki, even though she seemed to be a bit ticked because Sam was "in her space"... now she is looking sooo depressed and sad. She won't even come for her treats, and wants to stay outside alone and away from me. They change their moods just as quick as we do don't they?? lol
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Poor Niki, even though she didn't want to admit it, she liked having a playmate for awhile. She'll be fine, just give her a bit of extra love and attention. Maybe see if she can have a play date with Sam sometime during the week. Give your little fur baby a pat on the head from me.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 20, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Thanks, I gave Nik a pat for you :) Yes, I think she'll be just fine. They are just like kids I guess. They have a sleepover and they fight, pull hair, steal each others toys... but the minute they leave all you hear is mooommm when can Suzie come back to play, lol

I've been thinking about getting a new pup for a buddy for her, so I might look into that a little more seriously now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Male dog behaviour changing - any suggestions? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have 2 dogs - a male and a neutered female . Only recently the male dog has incessantly be licking the females bottom and then trying to mount her - this is a new behaviour but one which seems to be becoming obsessive with him. Can anyone explain why he is so obsessive about licking and...

What does this behaviour mean? [ 11 Answers ]

I know I should just dump him technically speaking but when you love someone properly you seek out reasons for why he is acting a certain way etc. First off, I am pregnant - nearly 24 weeks gone and 26 yrs old, v miserable and alone, working my bum off in Ireland, to try and get money up for...

Cats behaviour [ 2 Answers ]

How can be stopped cat to pooh in the garden?

Signs of behaviour [ 4 Answers ]

When you have been seeing a man a while and he say its just me and you sexually babes no one else in this then what happens is you have caught this man out arranging to meet another women you challenege him about this and get the answer no I wouldn't hve gone there.then said its getting to heavy...

ODD dog behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Terrier lab mix... or mutt how ever you look at it. He has developed on behaviors. We often times go to socialize at a friends house who has a dog. They play and have a great time. He never spends the night there or anything. He is very happy while he there. But for the...

View more questions Search