Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Hey, it's a harsh world :)
    shesinlove Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:17 PM
    I said I talked to him... he didn't say much only that I isn't sitting around all day which I totally didn't plan on it... and I was saying I know he wouldn't want me to drop out

Feb 17, 2008, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    Hey, it's a harsh world :)

I know. :D
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:18 PM
    So what will you do? You don't drive or have a car? How will you get to work?

Feb 17, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Um haha good point I walk almost everywhere and by the time I plan on dropping out I will be able to drive... I know how already so no struggle on that one
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:31 PM
    Maybe he dosen't want to tell you what he really feels. I mean if he says he disagrees he thinks you'll hate him, right? And if he agrees then he probably thinks he's being a bad parent. Kind of a tough thing for a parent to agree or disagree with. I mean a parent only wants what is best for their children, he want's you to be succeed.
    Maybe tell him about your troubles with school, he may supise you and try to encourage you to finish; you're so close you can probably taste it. If you really are serious tell him about getting a GED and plans to go in to a GED program. Maybe if you really want to work, look at night school.
    Another thing if your serious is to start planning more than just saying your looking in to dropping out. Start looking for a job now, maybe even start working now, before you quit school so that you have some money to start with. Maybe you'll realize how hard and annoying some types of work are. Look at the goals you have in life, what type of house you want, the type of car you want to drive, and look at how much it will cost. Look at how much gas alone costs, could you afford that and a car, and rent? Will you be able to afford these things when the time comes for you to leave the 'nest'?

Feb 17, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Wow you actually said something not harsh... lol... I understand what your saying when I asked this: okay I'm planing to drop out of high school and I don't know the way about doing that... like do I have to have my dad sign a paper or can I just drop out by myself? Um I live in virginia and I really don't know what to do... but I am going to drop out either way I just wanted to know if I could do it on my own like at age 16. I SIMPLY JUST WANTED SUMONE TO TELL ME THE LAW HERE... BUT ALL YOU OTHER PEOPLE SAYING WHY DO U WANTA DROP OUT... and I know its because you know that its going to be hard but honestly I already know its going to be hella hard.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
    I have a better idea. What year are you in now?

(Someone early on told you the law.)

You don't know what hard is and what boredom is.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Sorry.
    Thought I said this earlier. YES I think in most states 16 is the legal age to drop out without parental approval.
    But... I found this on WikiAnswers - Can you drop out of high school when you are 16 in Virginia

"In VA you are required to attend school until you're 18. In order to be exempt from this requirement, it has to be approved by the school board. There is a process to it, you can not just stop attending school. And *if* it is approved then you could be required to attend a GED program, receive career guidance counseling, receive counseling on the economic impact of failing to complete high school, etc. Let me just add studies have shown that most people who fail to complete high school, spend the rest of their lives working a minimum wage job and barely being able to pay their bills. Is that what you want for your life? Think long and hard about it. "

Note: I did not write any of that. Just found it on Google
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:46 PM
    **Edit** Great minds think alike, Gernald!**

"In VA you are required to attend school until you're 18. In order to be exempt from this requirement, it has to be approved by the school board. There is a process to it, you can not just stop attending school. And *if* it is approved then you could be required to attend a GED program, receive career guidance counseling, receive counseling on the economic impact of failing to complete high school, etc. Let me just add studies have shown that most people who fail to complete high school spend the rest of their lives working a minimum wage job and barely being able to pay their bills. Is that what you want for your life? Think long and hard about it."

Things are kind of quiet down there in Virginia.

You never asked, but here's my idea: finish high school and go to a community college where you can get a certificate (less than 2 years) for drug and alcohol counseling. You'd be darn good at that and it would be an entrée into other kinds of counseling or working with people who have problems. You would be a terrific advocate for your clients!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
    You don't need money to make you happy but wouldn't a roof over your head be a good thing? Anyone can say "would you like fries with that?" but do you want to do it for the rest of your life, because that's what you are setting yourself up for if you drop out of school. I know that the year or two you have left seems like forever, but it will be over before you know it and you'll have a degree to show for it. Trust me, if you do this you will look back one day and regret it.

P.S. to everyone who will take offence at the fries with that comment, I'm not saying that working at a fast food restaurant is bad, it's just not a career and it won't get you a home of your own etc. Sooner or later you have to find a job that will pay more than $7/hour and it helps if you at least have a high school diploma. Without one you might as well tell mom and dad that you're never moving out because you'll never be able to afford it.

Feb 18, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I have a better idea. What year are you in now?

(Someone early on told you the law.)

You don't know what hard is and what boredom is.

I know what hard is and boredom is you don't even know me so don't talk this crap
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Hi, I thought I knew what hard and boredom was when I was your age, I can tell you now that I didn't though. I suspect you are in the same place as I was.

Learning is the most wonderful, interesting and worthwhile thing in this life. Take advantage of your young agile mind, because in 10 years you won't be able to learn for squat. (well, you will but it's a much slower process). If I ever stop learning I don't think I could ever cope. Look at the world and question everything.

Feb 18, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Well I don't want you people to answer any more from this question because its up to me. I just wanted to know but yeah you kind of told me just because the law here says you are required to attend schoool doesn't mean you will... well I know some people that droped out before 18 but
    I'll think more about this stuff
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 18, 2008, 06:51 AM
    >Question closed as OP clearly doesn't want advice<

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Voltage drop [ 1 Answers ]

The Voltage will drop after 150 meter wire ,how to sole the problem . Thanks to all

Drop Out [ 11 Answers ]

My question is to all you kids in the world I'm 16 yrs old and dropped out of school if you have dropped out then you will understand the question I feel you only understand if you have experienced it OK well I didn't do good in school grades were good but me and teachers were not I'm not so good...

9-8 drop? [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know if there is something called a 9 8 drop in plumbing .it has something to do with the drainage system in kitchens and bathrooms.

Voltage drop [ 2 Answers ]

How far can you run an electrical cord, that is plugged into a 20 amp circuit, and still run a circular saw? If the saw starts slowly, will that harm the saw?

Drop down [ 2 Answers ]

I know I have done this before, And I can't remember how I did it. I would like to eliminate the search history, from the search field when I start to type something it gives a drop down of previous searches. I do not want it to do this- how can I change it?

View more questions Search