Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexielexs Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Feb 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Linux programming
    Hey can anyone tell me what linux is exactly. Like I went to the website but I didn't really understand what is was reading so can anyone tell me how it works and all that stuff!
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
    I think its another OS (operating system) because windows can cause a lot of problems for programmes so a lot of people prefer to use the linux system. I've had to use it for programming in C for example
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Yeah albear is right, it's another operating system, except it's completely free and the source code is open to the public. It's not an OS like Windows, where Microsoft is the sole proprietor who produces new versions of Windows, since Linux's code is open to the public, there are many production distributions out there (in the thousands). The most popular one to date is Ubuntu, I use it and love it. Check it out if you're interested.

Look Linux up on Wikipedia for the best information.
    dprabesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 12:29 AM
    Lexielexs Linux is a operating system (like windows Xp) of computer. It is a open source (A program or software which code is open to public or end user and they can modify the code and make new software which they can sell or distribute). Simply You can think Linux as a replacement of Microsoft Windows.
    Sitwonade Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Linux is the kernel of the GNU operating system. The word 'Linux' is used as the common name for the whole system, but the true name is GNU or GNU/Linux. There is a big controversy regarding the naming...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Linux [ 3 Answers ]

I am using VI editor at work to try to compile my programs for school in C. When I compile I get the file a.out. When I do this on the school's site I am able to just type a.out in the command line and it runs. They are using AIX (whatever that means). I cannot do that here. It keeps saying no such...

Linux flavors? [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a certain distro of linux that anyone reccommends for a computer that is... : a Dell Dimension XPS P100c desktop, with 32 Mb of ram and a 1 gig hard drive (which the c: drive is located on) and then a 5 gig hard drive also, it has a pentium 1 processor.

Linux [ 5 Answers ]

I have a saa7134 TV cards .my linux (kernal 2.6)not configure for this TV cards.pls help me

Getting linux [ 1 Answers ]

Hi It's me again. First of all let me thank all the experts that have helped me with my problems. "THANK YOU GUYS" I ran all different sorts of scans on the computer and now it's running faster because all the rubbish files are deleted and the spy sweeper has killed all the spies. One of the...

View more questions Search