Ask
    joyce1954 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Apply Trade in Value of Fixed Asset
    Corporation Traded up on Vehicle.
    CR Vehicle
    DR Accum Depr
    CR Cost of Sale

How do I enter Trade-in credit allowed by dealer when new vehicle is bought?

joyce1954
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I'm not sure where you're getting the account "Cost of Sale." For one, that's generally a category, not an account. And it's also more related to the costs directly related to making sales -- but sales which the company is in business to do. (i.e. they aren't in the business of selling vehicles -- they use it in their business.)

A trade-in credit is also not an account. It's used to figure out two other things. For one, it'll help determine whether you have a gain or loss on the trade in. You're comparing your book value to the trade in allowance, and seeing if you got trade in value higher or lower than book value. Second, it's used to help figure out how much is left due on the trade it.

i.e. The new vehicle is $30,000, you're given a trade-in of $10,000, and you put down $5000 in cash. You have essentially given them $15,000. So you still owe them $15,000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

Fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

How do I categorize and enter into the checkbook?

Trade In Of An Asset [ 1 Answers ]

On December 1, 2005, Cutting Edge Traded An Old Piece Of Equipment For A Newer Model. The Following Information Pertains To This Transaction: Old Machine: Original Cost 18,000 Accumulated Depreciation As Of 12/1/05 13,500 ...

View more questions Search