Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lhhai Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Word means "reply quickly"
    I remember that I have read and look up in dictionary a word which describe an ability or characteristic of a person (maybe a little child) who are able to reply (in communication) very quickly and clever.

I read that word long time ago and now I need it. However, I cannot remember it and I cannot look it up in the dictionary.

If you know that word (it's a single word), please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Ly Hoang Hai
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:37 AM
    I think "intuitive" fits.

Here is the thesaurus entry for it:
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=intuitive

Does that fit in what you're writing?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Maybe it's "promptly"?
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Promptly does address the timing, where Intuitive does not.

I can't find just one word meaning "quickly reply cleverly" - but think a person who is intuitive has the ability to to do so.

Can you give the sentence where you would like to use the word?
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jan 23, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Maybe "riposte" or "retort". Not the sort of word I'd associate with a child. But who knows!

Jan 23, 2006, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Promptly does address the timing, where Intuitive does not.

I can't find just one word meaning "quickly reply cleverly" - but think a person who is intuitive has the ability to to do so.

Can you give the sentence where you would like to use the word?
    This is the context:
    "I want to describe a little child at the age of 9 years old. She's quite talkative and clever. Whenever her friends tease her, she always figure out (spontaneously) a way to response and to make them angry. When she makes mistakes and her mother claims at her, she always finds a away to explain and to make her mom feel happy."

I want a word which describes that ability of the girl. I'm sure that I have read that word in the past, but I can not remember it now.
    I think "intuitive" is good. However, in my opinion, it is about problem-solving ability rather than communication ability.
    Can anyone suggest me another word ?
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Intuitive is perfect for describing problem-solving ability, but does not address how quickly.

"Retort" is very close:
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=retort

... but if it were me, I'd use "she gives a clever retort", as Retort by itself does not necessarily mean clever.

... so we've got it down to 2 words now: "clever retort". Can that work for you?

Jan 23, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Intuitive is perfect for describing problem-solving ability, but does not address how quickly.

"Retort" is very close:
    http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=retort

...but if it were me, I'd use "she gives a clever retort", as Retort by itself does not necessarily mean clever.

...so we've got it down to 2 words now: "clever retort". Can that work for you?
    I'm sorry but "Retort" describe an action rather than an ability.
    However, thanks for your fast response.

Ly Hoang Hai
    teach350 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Best word for quick thinking child
    From your description of the child's actions it sounds like the word "coniving"
    teach350 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2006, 04:29 PM
    Sorry spelled conniving and another word is manipulative
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Jan 24, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Verbose (n)
    Articulate (v)

Or you could marry with one of the other suggestions and say:

"she has an intuitive verbosity"
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Jan 28, 2006, 02:13 AM
    It doesn't sound like manipulative or conniving to me. Those words have negative connotations whereas the child's responses were not generally negative.

Cheeky and Sassy for the comebacks. Witty and Keen for the intelligence.

But, for the finale, combining all of these with a child's early development,
    We have...

[drum roll please]

Precocious!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 28, 2006, 08:42 PM
    Very good, admin. I have a 6 year old niece who is a little precocious. She uses her qualities on her grandparents and they usually fall for it. I also spoil her because she's so adorable. Guys, Kids are clever these days, they'll work things to their advantage.
    paradoks Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Just a suggestion,

Rather then use one word to describe this, perhaps try a metaphor.

e.g.. "the girl responded with the swiftness and accuracy of a samurai wielding his sword"

This being only an example of course. If you can't find one particular word that suits your purpose, a metaphor might be just what you need to express the meaning you are after.

Good luck, hope one of us have been able to assist.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Feb 3, 2006, 10:02 AM
    How about PRECOCIOUS. Manifesting or characterized by unusually early development or maturity, esp. in mental aptitude.

Sorry for failing to notice that Prettynpetite1 had already provided the most fitting answer.
    Mooshie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2006, 08:47 PM
    How about "quick-witted"? Or, if the work can handle slang, "snappy" (meaning both that she can think of responses in a snap and that her responses are witty, or snappy)?
    RBNY90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 08:47 AM
    I believe the word you're looking for is "repartee," which means "the quick-witted reply."
    sidneyjanesharp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lhhai
    I remember that I have read and look up in dictionary a word which describe an ability or characteristic of a person (maybe a little child) who are able to reply (in communication) very quickly and clever.

I read that word long time ago and now I need it. However, i cannot remember it and I cannot look it up in the dictionary.

If you know that word (it's a single word), pls help me.

Thank you in advance.

Ly Hoang Hai
    I think the word you're looking for is "precocious."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Word, "requesting virus scan" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Running Word, Office 2000, on Win XP, when we attempt to load a file from any disk, we get the hourglass icon, the Word message "Requesting Virus scan", and no progress from there. Our Virus scanner is ESET/Nod32. This is a new installation, with SP2 updates, the previous installation of the...

My Cursor prints out the word "MARK" [ 8 Answers ]

This is a recent problem I have encountered. I am running IE6 WinXP Home. Lately, if I go to a website and say, click on a search button with my cursor, where I click the cursor will automatically print out in small blue letters the word "MARK" (w/o quotes of course). This does NOT prevent me...

View more questions Search