Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobertRossBand Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Printer cable adapters - 8 pin to USB?
    I have an old Apple LaserWriter 4/600 PS printer that works great. It uses an 8 pin mini DIN serial cable. I have a G4 Apple computer with USB and FW ports. I need some sort of adapter to hook these two work horses together. Is there such an animal? Is there another way?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Try this
    8 Pin USB Manufacturers & Suppliers
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Do you know if your connecting via Localtalk or true serial.

You might actually have to get 2 converters. One to convert Rs422 to Rs232 and then RS232 to USB.

But, first make sure a serial driver is available for the old printer and how long Apple plans to support it.

There were Ethertalk to Localtalk converters that put Localtalk printers on the Ethernet network back in the day, but Apple may have depreciated that protocol now. Asante used to make the converters, but you needed the Localtalk connector kits.

Feb 19, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Well I tried that Cables To Go site and did not see any kind of 8 Pin Mini DIN to USB adapter. Then I tried chatting with a technician and he told me that they don't have anything that would work and that he doubted that any other company would carry such an item either. I even asked whether two adapters together might do the job but he said no. It seems strange that there isn't an adapter for a job like that. I mean after all, both the computer and the printer are made by Apple. :(
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
    This might work:

EasySync USA

The ES-U-2001 : Single Port USB-RS422/RS485

You;ll have to fins the serail cable and wire it properly.

Apple use RS422 which is SOME cases worked with just some wiring changes. One example is the modem cable that Apple used, but I has a device that would not work by jumping because the serial voltage levels were too low.

Serial when it was initial introduced uses +-25 volt signal levels. They reduced it to +-12 and then to +-5. That's whay there is varied performance among devices. Voltages between +-3 are indeterminate.

USB powering has an additional hurdle. There is only 5 watts or 0.1 watts available depending if you're a main port.

Can you ost the pin assignments for the printer?

I've been down this road with apple products, although not with OS X. That's why it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that a driver is available.

Here is another ressources:

Apple serial connection
    Mac Serial Cables - Apple MAC Serial Cable MAC serial Cable Mini Din 8 Straight Through Apple Cable Apple Cables mac serial cable apple serial cable apple serial cables

With a little more searching, I found a ready-made adpater:

USB  Twin RS-422 Mini-DIN8 Serial Adapter

Feb 19, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Nice researching there KISS. I will try calling the company as the photo of the adapter is a little small for details. Thanks very much this really looks like the solution.

Feb 19, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Well I finally got through to a company called PSISM. They sell a USB cable with Twin RS-422 Mini-DIN8 Serial Adapter, Model #:USA28XG. It's $90 a lot more then I would have expected.
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:41 PM
    I know, I got a P2015dn HP printer (Postscript, PCL6) and duplexing with USB and Ethernet for $250.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Printer does not print when using USB-Paralel cable [ 2 Answers ]

I use a USB to Parallel cable to connect my printer to my computer. But no matter what USB port I pluged in, the test print will not print. And sometime the print is stated as offline. What is wrong with this issue? The reason I use this USB-Paralel because the mother board I use does not have...

USB Printer on LAN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a USB printer whivh connects direct to a PC, is there any way to cuople it to the ethernet LAN so it can be used by all PC'S on the LAN? If so what kind of adaptor / software would I need Many thanks in anticipation Lucas

G3 to USB Printer Cable? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a G3 with an HP/USB connection, what cable will connect them? 8 pin mini DIN to USB? Or serial to USB :confused:

Shareing a usb printer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a printer and a usb hub and I am wondering is it possible to share the printer over the usb hub to the other systems or do I need to share it over the network? This will be done by connecting all the systems and the printer to the hub. I have been told that it is not possible to share a...

View more questions Search