Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1639frazier Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Tranny oil change for Volvo S70, has no dipstick
    My 2000 Volvo S70 has no dip stick and no apparent way to check the oil level. There is an inch and one eighth nut on top of the tranny case which refuses to budge,but I have to assume that is the oil fill port. Do you just drain all the fluid and replace according to the spec.in the owners handbook or top it off until you can see oil topping off.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 02:36 PM
    There would be no dipstick on a manual transmission.
    But both options of auto transmissions show a dipstick. Look for a red or possibly black handle near the front of the engine bay (near the radiator), inboard from the battery.
    I hope this helps.
    chip2 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 05:11 PM
    I have a 2004 V70 (Automatic). When I asked the salesman to show me the dip stick for the transmission, he said "there isn't one." I've not looked very hard for one, but if it is there, it is certainly not obvious.
    cwag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    There would be no dipstick on a manual transmission.
    But both options of auto transmissions show a dipstick. Look for a red or possibly black handle near the front of the engine bay (near the radiator), inboard from the battery.
    I hope this helps.
    I found only the red engine oil dipstick and cannot locate another. Any other suggestions for locating the transmission oil dipstick on the S70?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 31, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cwag View Post
    I found only the red engine oil dipstick and cannot locate another. Any other suggestions for locating the transmission oil dipstick on the S70??
    Red is the color code for transmission related stuff.
    Yellow for engine oil.

If you drive an automatic transmission, you should find your's in the same spot.
    Any chance you could post a photo or two of your engine bay? Especially right in that area.
    runingjoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 07:11 PM
    The automatic transmission fluid dip stick is hidden on the right side of the motor as you are facing the engine. It is a small yellow cap hidden under some hoses and cables.
    Bobbledog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2014, 12:51 PM
    On my 2002 C70 petrol 2.0T auto I have found the yellow cap but it doesn't want to move. Is there a latch on it?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2014, 01:45 PM
    Some are secured by latch with a 10mm bolt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troy Built Tiller- No Start after Oil Change [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a used tiller that was running fine before the oil change. No manual was provided to me so I am a little unsure as to the process to change the Oil, more specifically how much oil to add (no dipstick). I put in two quarts which filled It to the top of the block. Now...

Oil change honda accord 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honda accord 2003 and manual says change oil every 10,000 miles. Is this correct? Almost all auto service calls for only 3,000 miles for oil change. Thanks

Broken oil dipstick [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Nissan Sentra. The plastic handle on the oil dipstick broke off. Now the remaining part of the dipstick is stuck deep down in the oil tube; at least 12 inches down. Don't know why the manufacturers would make the dipstick handle out of plastic... Anyway... I've tried different...

Oil change [ 5 Answers ]

What to do if drain plug is stripped cannot take off with wrench

How do you change the oil in a 78 F350 [ 1 Answers ]

How do you change the oil in a 78 F350?

View more questions Search