Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Fallen soldier's bracelet inspires Obama
    And I have to say - that I was leaning towards Barack - and for some reason - this has made me edge towards voting for Barack a lot more. I've read a great deal about the canadate, I've taken the survey - came out

1) Barack
    2) Hillary
    3) McCain

For some reason, this just felt real good. There defintely seems to be a deep sincerity about him and I think I would be quite proud to see Barack as President. Here's the short story.

AP News | www.tucsoncitizen.com
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    And I have to say - that I was leaning towards Barack - and for some reason - this has made me edge towards voting for Barack a lot more. I've read a great deal about the canadate, I've taken the survey - came out

1) Barack
    2) Hillary
    3) McCain

For some reason, this just felt real good. There defintely seems to be a deep sincerity about him and I think I would be quite proud to see Barack as President. Here's the short story.

AP News | www.tucsoncitizen.com
    I vote for (McCain or Clinton) tied and Obama last in the order. On the surface, Obama is a great speaker and crowd energizer... and I believe he is somewhat sincere in his intentions. Although, sometimes I feel he is being dishonest by giving the poor and average American voters "the hope" that he can keep all his promises. I will always take honesty (eg, tell me what you really can or cannot do) over promises without a method to deliver. I have listened to many of his speeches and I can understand why the poor, the sick, the homeless, and many average Americans are energized by his speeches. However, when he speaks, listen carefully for not only the things he is going to CHANGE but some insight as to how he intends to accomplish those changes. He keeps reiterating "with the people behind me, anything is possible." Now, that is true to a certain extent; however, you can't fit 380 million people into a session with the congress or the senate.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Hi ex - I had like McCain for a long time, even before he tossed his name into the ring.

We, as a country, or I guess I should only speak for myself, I feel indebted to him, I am more then grateful to him, I adore him, for the scarifices he has made for our country. What he gave could never be measured.

My one heartache with Sen. McCain is he can see the war continuing. I don't want it anymore. No more fallen heroes and I want them home.

But I completely respect your choice.

Feb 17, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Hi,

That war should have never been started (in hindsight) and I want the soldiers to come home as well. But I also want them to come home victoriously so their (and our) fallen brothers/sisters did not die for naught. We don't need another Vietnam.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 09:28 AM
    I understand xp - but those sweet angels will never have died for naught.

I understand you want to see what was set out from the beginning - but I just don't know how possible that is and I much rather bring them home alive and not worry about what the history books will say.

The ones that have come back say there is greater positive change then the media shows (what a surprize), but I just want them home for a number of reasons.

Feb 17, 2008, 09:38 AM
    I understand your feelings and the logic behind your answers. So, thank you for participating in this discussion with me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Aw Thank you to XP.

It honestly is how I learn so I thank you again.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Military Families Voice of Victory - Home
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 08:05 AM
    From the article:

Mrs. Jopek said she's a "political junkie" who was once watching a press conference on television and noticed likely GOP nominee John McCain wearing a similar bracelet. McCain's was given to him in August by the mother of Cpl. Matthew Stanley, also killed in Iraq, and the Arizona senator's been wearing it regularly ever since. He takes a different message from the memento.
    So Obama and her followers are a "me too" bunch, eh?

"It means any political ambitions of mine pale in comparison to the sacrifice that nearly 4,000 family members have made," McCain said of the bracelet in an interview with The Associated Press last fall. He said although political pundits said his determination not to end the fight in Iraq will kill his political career, "when you meet the mother of Matthew Stanley, then what difference does that make?"
    I like McCain's attitude better.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 08:14 AM
    "It means any political ambitions of mine pale in comparison to the sacrifice that nearly 4,000 family members have made," McCain

Speech, I agree 100% with the above and love McCain for saying it.

For me, I just want the kids coming home. I believe that what we envisoned for over there will never quite come to be.

I feel if we leave today or 5 years from now chaos will follow there.

I just don't want anymore of our heroes being fallen heroes. That is keeping me from voting for McCain. One of the issues, but this is a main issue.

Am I wrong? Will civility ever be in Iraq? I feel for the children there I truly do and I want so much better for them... will it happen if we stay? I ask that because I don't think so. And if it is to be, we would have to stay for way more then 5 years.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55

Hi Tom,

I did look at this site but, not sure what you were pointing out.

Sorry, slow on the go today.

I am interested though... What are the Military Families saying? Where should I be looking?

Thanks.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Am I wrong? Will civility ever be in Iraq? I feel for the children there I truly do and I want so much better for them....will it happen if we stay? I ask that because I don't think so. And if it is to be, we would have to stay for way more then 5 years.
    None of us want to see fallen soldiers, but the way I see it is regardless of being right or wrong in going into Iraq we have a moral obligation now to give the Iraqi people a chance and prevent their country from descending into irrecoverable chaos. I would also think that by now - especially since the violence has decreased so much - that the UN and the rest of the free world would have the same interest and do more than just whine.

I find it reprehensible that many - if not most - of the people whining about Bush and Iraq are simultaneously demanding intervention in Darfur. What is their criteria for determining which genocides demand intervention, skin color? What do they think is going to happen if we pull out of Iraq prematurely, are they ready for the chaos that follows?
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Well I never whined about President Bush nor will I. That's just me.

If I thought that there would be positive change, and there are reports that is taken place (hidden in the news as they are), and the positive change would be permanet, I would feel better.

ALSO, and this is just as important, if our men and women had all they need while they were there to keep the safe as much as possible, had the right equipment, helments that fit, vehicles with the proper shields, I would feel better.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Apparently a fallen soldier isn't all that inspires Obama. It seems he plagiarized his friend, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick:

Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Apparently a fallen soldier isn't all that inspires Obama. It seems he plagiarized his friend, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick:

:eek: :eek:

It could have been his speech writer. ( They have those... don't they?) And you have to admit, they have so many speeches to come up with, I wouldn't be surprised if the swap them back and forth.

I bet he had no idea... ( Is that being naïve? ) But I really don't. They count on the people around them and trust them... I bet it was his speechwriter. They really should write the speaches themselves.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:53 PM
    According to Patrick they exchange ideas all the time and he is proud of Obama for what he said. Still, for someone who is supposed to be a gifted orator, the "New Testament," "Mozart," "inspirational," "genius" and "brilliant" as Chris Matthews describes him, he should be able to do better than plagiarizing and teleprompters.
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Why would anyone want to run for public office LOL. Man they don't miss a trick do they.
    Did you ever run out of the house real fast to run to the store, hoping no one sees you... and low and behold, you bump into 8 people you haven't seen in years... :):)

Imagine what they must go through, I would loose my mind.

Thanks for sharing that... interesting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

Democrats choosing between Hillary and Obama: [ 15 Answers ]

Dennis Miller, comedian, and more recently known for his political commentary and satire, has a valid point: Why would Democrats that want change, vote for Hillary? We already know about a Clinton ran White House via Bill's presidency. Nothing new there. Even more so why would the black segment of...

The Obama Shuffle [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what Obama, a man who majored in Political Science, specializing in International Relations at Columbia University, plans to do with those skills when it comes to national security? So far, he wants a "diplomatic surge" to solve the problems in Iraq, whatever that means. ...

Q-Ray bracelet ? [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone tried one of these ionic bracelets? My neighbor says they really work. Any opinions?

View more questions Search