Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Feb 17, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Steel Roof Over Asphalt?
    I am going to replace the roof on my house, I do have some ice dam problems from time to time.

The old roof is flat, shingles are in good shape so its mainly for aesthetics that I am changing. I am interested in installing a steel roof, this I have not done before. Is it possible to install a steel roof over an existing asphalt shingle roof? Is there any precautions I would need to take with steel and ice dam problems?

Thanks in advance!

PS. My climate is NE Ohio weather, if that matters.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:20 AM
    When you say your roof is flat do you mean it has no pitch at all? Can't use steel in this application. Ice dams usually mean poor insulation and that will continue with steel. Have you assessed your insulation and roof vents?
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Feb 17, 2008, 01:38 PM
    I have a 4/12 pitch roof, attic is insulated well, with soffit and ridge vents clear. I have an attic furnace that is wrapped in insulation, ducts and all. Still some residual heat causes snow to melt faster at ridge, then ice damn at eves when we get a fast freeze. I am not seeking the steel to solve the problem, I thought it might look nice since I have a country home plus looks easy to install.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 27, 2008, 10:20 PM
    You should have no problems with a steel roof on a 4/12 pitch. You will need to install perlins between the steel and the shingles. Putting the steel directly on asphalt is never a good idea. To help with the melting and ice damns I would install an electric exhaust fan which can be wired into 110. This would help get rid of the heat in winter and summer. Should help with the ice damns and cool the house easier in warm months. Installing a steel roof look easy but if they are not installed correctly then can cause big problems.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

Asphalt Resurface [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had a contractor "resurface" my old asphalt driveway. At his suggestion, the job did not involve removing/repairing the old driveway -- he just spread a new layer of asphalt over the existing driveway. In a period of less than 10 days, grass started growing through the resurface job. ...

Asphalt Overlay [ 7 Answers ]

Is it OK to lay an asphalt overlay (driveway) when it is damp from rain the day before? Does the outside temp. need to be a particular minimum?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Cracks in Asphalt [ 3 Answers ]

My driveway was asphalt paved about 15 years ago, and never resealed. It is now starting to crack in places, ant hills coming through, etc. Is it too late to use a sealer now, and do I need to call a company to come and put another layer on, or are there available products to seal old driveways...

View more questions Search