Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nick67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Basement Shower Drain & Sink Drain issues
    I am finishing my basement and have a few plumbing questions... some info on the home. My house was built in 1999, and I live in South Elgin, IL. It is a walkout basement and I do not have an ejector pump. The builder did the rough-in plumbing when the house was built.

There are 2 2" PVC pipes sticking out of the concrete floor along the back wall. They are approximately 5 ft apart from each other. There is a toilet drain sticking out of the concrete floor in-between the 2 2" pipes.

The pipe on the right comes out from a 12"x12" cut into the concrete, it has a 1.5" tee approx 3" below the floor sticking out horizontally and capped off with duct tape, and goes straight down to the gravel the rest of the way as a 2" pipe. Both pipes go up along the wall about 4', connect to each other via a 2" horizontal pipe, and it goes up into the ceiling.

The previous owner told me that the 2" pipe on the right was the shower drain. He also told me that the 2" pipe on the left was the drain for the sink.

I purchased a Swanstone shower floor, and the installation instructions say that the drain is designed for a 2" plastic drain pipe. I did not realize that the tee in the concrete cutout was 1.5" until I took off all the duct tape. I need to know if I can reduce the 2" pvc after the trap and connect it to the 1.5" stub? Or did the builder intend this to be the sink drain. I already planned out the layout, and installed all the electric and framing based on what I was told.

If I can reduce the pipe after the trap, then this one issue is solved.

My next issue is the sink drain pipe on the left. I don't see a vent for it, so can I just tap into the 2" pipe that is on the left side for the bathroom sink?

I have pictures explaining all the above, so if you need them, I can e-mail them to you.

I hope I gave enough information and didn't confuse anybody more than I already am.

Thank you for your help!!
    Nick
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Hey Nick.. Well... sounds like the shower was roughed in for a TUB.. BUT this is not really an issue as I think the builder stubbed out for tub, but did not place a trap for the tub .. OR DID HE?. so should be easy to cut the pipe in box underground on HORIZONTAL section of pipe and then install a 2" p-trap directly off that into the swanstone shower floor you mentioned. Lavatory on left.. yes.. I think...

AND yes pictures would be great. Just to be sure. TRY the go advanced button when posting to post pics.

Feb 16, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Thanks for the quick response. I have included a couple pics for your reference.

Are you saying that the 1.5" tee coming out is OK to hook up to the trap for the shower?

Also, can I hook up a sink drain directly to the pipe on the left.

Hopefully the pics help

Nick
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 08:08 AM
    Hey Nick... like I said... definitely was roughed in for a tub (on right).

Bad news in a few ways here Nick (sorry)... but let's see:

You cannot tie/increase the 1.5 inch drain into the shower... needs to be 2inch.. good news is 2 inch pipe is present... bad news is that will need to chop out some concrete and relocate the drain line... unless you can find a shower base with a drain at the end... like a tub (they are out there... usually 5 feet long). NOW, if you are wondering if OK to just install a left hand tub... seems would be easier at this point, but I do not see access for hooking pipes up later.. see, here I would have rotated the tub (right hand)drain down to other end of tub... SO I COULD ACCESS DRAIN PIPE AND TUB/SHOWER VALVE AFTER INSTALLATION... but that is not what is done. POINT is that I think you will need to chop up pipe and install a 2" wye and 45degree fitting to a ptrap for the new shower (you will need to install a vent for the shower drain in between the new 2"wye and the ptrap... connect that back to the 2 inch pipe that acts as tub vent right now... *WHEW*...

NOW, if the pipe on left is 2" pipe you can tie the lavatory (sink) into it via a 2 x 1.5 tee fitting (called a TY fitting by the way) at about 18 inches to center off finished floor.

BUT, the tee fitting that is in the horizontal vent pipe between left and right vent is not allowed by code... need to cut that vent and install a new 2" TY fitting so that fitting is upside down and branch picks up left pipe and bottom of ty fitting goes to the vent on right via 2 90 degree elbows.

Also note, that the toilet pipe should have had something around it so concrete would not touch it... *frown*... again... you do not have that. This time, should be OK because they make a TWIST AND SET flange that will set in there AFTER the tile floor has been installed (Then anchor that through tile and into concrete via concrete anchors (plastic type work fine here)).

There a few mistakes to say the least... but if you install tub with an apron (such as a whirlpool with an access panel out front.. or you can find a tub with removable apron then YOU may be able to install tub in this spot and just be done with it).. AND you can reach the drain... then all may not be too bad.

You have some homework to do.. and some work... your homework will determine just how much.

If my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer button at upper right or at bottom of post....thank you.

Keep in touch.. and if you really need to talk to me you can email me by clicking on my name and going to my profile and emailing me... if necessary I will send a phone number and you can ask more questions if you need to... (NO CHARGE ;)) Let me know how it goes. Keep posting here though for most stuff.

Feb 23, 2008, 07:26 PM
    Just wanted to thank you for your help. I have a lot of work to do, and will probably be returning here for more help.

Thank You
    Nick
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Nick... anytime.. anyway... you let me know. Keep in touch. Can always PM me if you want (click on my name in any post).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sink drain diameter, other issues [ 1 Answers ]

We just put in a new sink drain and try as we might, it doesn't seem to be housed in there correctly. We are having a difficult time getting it seated level, and there is a gap (which my husband filled with putty). The gap is nearly 1/8" all around, not flush like the other (original) side. The...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Shower & sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roughed in basement bathroom with a 4 inch sewer line. I have no shower or sink drain. Can I tie a shower and sink drain into the 4 inch sewer line? Do I need a separate vent for the shower and sink? What I was hoping to do is jack hammer around the 4 inch dig down far enough...

Basement sink drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a bar sink in my basement. I need all the height I can get in order to hook into my main drain where it exists the house. The sink is 15" x 15". The drain pipe will be 2". A studor valve will be inserted after the trap. Question is, how far below the bottom of the sink does the...

Basement drain backup after Kitchen sink did [ 2 Answers ]

Help!! This evening, my kitchen sink backed up... which I used liquid plumber to unlcog it and it worked... then when I went into the basement, the drain in the wash room was backed up with stuff all over the place. I have a plumber on the way. My brother tells me that it is most likely the tree...

View more questions Search