Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Can you have dual citenship?
    [F]
    My 20 year old daughter (US Citizen) will be moving to Canada to live with her fiance'(Canadian Citizen) soon. In Nov. she will be allowed to apply for Permanent residence, which will allow her to work and take advantage of some of the other benefits awarded to citizens. Can you continue living there on this status as long as you want or do you have to eventually apply for Canadian Citizenship? Can she have dual citizenship or does she lose her US status?
    lavaughnd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I think that it does not matter if she is a US citizen and is going to live in Canada. You see, Canada is one of the states and a US citizen is not required to have a visa to enter into Canada. Therefore, she would be abloe to live and work as usual without getting dual citizenship.

I hope this answers your question.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    The above is completely wrong. An American citizen cannot enter Canada without applying for permanent residence (Canada's equivalent of a green card) for the purpose of living in Canada and working there. You must obtain permanent resident status before entering Canada if you intend to live and work there.

She will never lose her US citizenship even if she applies for and gets Canadian citizenship. Dual citizenships are allowed between Canada and the US.

You don't have to get Canadian citizenship but it is expected, you can't vote or hold a Canadian passport until you get citizenship. Also if she intends to enter Canada in November she has to apply now, processing takes 6 to 8 months.

Feb 17, 2008, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    The above is completely wrong. An American citizen cannot enter Canada without applying for permanent residence (Canada's equivalent of a green card) for the purpose of living in Canada and working there. You must obtain permanent resident status before entering Canada if you intend to live and work there.

She will never lose her US citizenship even if she applies for and gets Canadian citizenship. Dual citizenships are allowed between Canada and the US.

You dont have to get Canadian citizenship but it is expected, you can't vote or hold a Canadian passport until you get citizenship. Also if she intends to enter Canada in November she has to apply now, processing takes 6 to 8 months.
    I am happy to hear that she will never lose her US Citizenship. I just got back from Canada as a visitor. All I needed was my passport. How long can you be a visitor? They will be staying with her future in-laws in the beginning. If she is on an extended visit, can she apply for permanent residence during that time? After she is established as a permanent resident, will she qualify for their health care? Future mother-in-law said that they had to know each other face to face for a year before she could become a resident. They communicated for 2 years over the internet before they actually met face to face this past Nov. BTW thank you for taking the time to help me.

Feb 17, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaughnd
    I think that it does not matter if she is a US citizen and is going to live in Canada. You see, Canada is one of the states and a US citizen is not required to have a visa to enter into Canada. Therefore, she would be abloe to live and work as usual without getting dual citizenship.

I hope this answers your question.

I don't understand. What do you mean that Canada is one of the states?
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 02:09 PM
    As long as they can prove they have had contact for 2 years they could apply now, but some face to face time helps. She can stay in Canada as a visitor for 6 months maximum, every 6 months she must return to the US (even after she sends the application) or she will be considered illegal.

Yes she can apply while staying in Canada as a visitor and yes once it's approved she will have full health coverage.

Feb 17, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Low tax, thank you so much for your help. I see you are in Montreal. I just returned from Ottawa. My daughter and her fiance' are in route from Ottawa to our home in Atlanta, Ga.
    As we speak. That is an 18 hour trip!! Ouch!

Is there as much snow in Montreal as in Ottawa? It snowed just about everyday that I was there. The driveway was plowed daily, but on each side of the driveway the snow came up to my waist.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Up to your waist, I've seen homes with snow on either side of the driveway a lot higher, like 5 feet. But it depends, we haven't had much more snow, just some areas don't remove the snow after plowing so the piles keep growing. Today actually it's raining though so some should melt.

Feb 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
    O.K. I stand corrected. I am from Trinidad in the West Indies so I do not have much knowledge of this. I thought that as Canada being part of the States that it would have been all right.

I'm sorry!!

Feb 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
    lavaughnd, that's okay. I wish it was one of the states! Actually, I wish they would live in MY state, Georgia. I miss her so much already. Wish me luck with this big change
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 09:32 PM
    lavaughnd, Canada is not part of the United States

Feb 19, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Hi,

I wish you luck with your big change and hang in there. At least she will call you and can come to visit you at anytime, and do not forget to pray and ask GOD for comfort and protection for her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any countries where I can pick up a dual citizenship form, I am US born and don't want to loose my US citizenship - but I also don't want to have to get married just to get a citizenship from another country?:

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Robert and I'm a legal permanent resident here in the United States, Came here with my parents when I was 4yrs of age. I do run into problems occasionally and was wondering, If I become a US citizen can I still retain my British Citizenship?:confused:

Dual status. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are from South Korea. My husband has worked for University since Sep.01.2004. We have J1 and J2 visa. (entered U.S. Aug.11.2004 ) I never worked in U.S. I think that he should report 1040NR (Jan ~Aug) and 1040A (Sep ~Dec)because his case is dual status. He should report a...

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

View more questions Search