Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ACJJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Tenant rights
    I have been trying to get a balance from my landlord's attorney for the past rent that I owe, but I have not been successful. I received a default notice for not appearing in court. I was never notified of any court proceedings. I did file a motion to set aside default judgement. I was told that if I paid all past due then I would be able to stay, but still have not received a balance. When I go to court do I have a legal defense of not knowing and not receiving a past due balance to pay?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Hello A:

No. That's not a defense. Cause the judge knows, and so do I, that if you walked into the lawyers office with cash,
    They're going to tell you how much you owe. They're going to take it, and they're going to let you stay.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
    So what's so hard for you to figure out what you owe? You should know just how many months you are in arrears and any late charges per month. You can also pay by check when you are in their office. Don't expect the attorney to send you a notice of just how much you owe. Just go to their office and pay it so you can stay. Be happy that they will accept your money versus you get evicted. Lots of landlords refuse the back rent and just want the tenant out of the property. Run, do not walk, to the attorney's office and pay up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I have just been given notice the landlord will is putting the home I am renting on the market tomorrow. My lease is up in Dec. I want to to know what my rights are according to Utah law. Does this enable me to find a new home now or am I stuck until the home is sold?

Tenant rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently living in Bayonne NJ. My boyfriend and I rent an apartment on the first floor of a two family house. Our landlord lives upstairs. Our landlord uses the backyard and basement which is connected to my PSEG bill. I have asked repeatedly for them to change this setup and yes they...

Tenant rights. [ 2 Answers ]

If major repairs are needed and we had to spend some nights at a motel, should the landlord or manager be responsible for the cost of it. Also if there are threats and harrasements, should that be dealt with right away or left for another time. Especially when we still need more repairs done. ...

Tenant rights [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for "tenant rights answers"... here is my situation: I have lived in the same house for over 8 years; the first 7 years was as the paying housemate with the owner of the house at which time the owner bought another house and moved to that one he now lives in; while I remained in this...

Tenant Rights VS Roommate Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I, the master tenant, recently took on a roommate. I paid $1675.00 (79%), and he paid $450.00 (21%) of the total rent. He lived in my apt for 10 days and moved on the 11th. He was a nuissance as he slept all day and tackled chores, i.e. laundry in the early hours 12:40 AM. So, due to our different...

View more questions Search