Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notrihulls Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Outlook 2003 will receive but not send
    I'm having trouble with Outlook 2003. It will receive just fine but not send. I've deleted all the items in my oubox, except a read receipt that is hidden somewhere.

The error code I get is 0x8004210B. I have all the add-ins disabled, and the outgoing port is 25. I'm running bit defender as my A/V program, but not sure what settings to change in it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 16, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by notrihulls
    I'm having trouble with Outlook 2003. It will receive just fine but not send. I've deleted all the items in my oubox, except a read receipt that is hidden somewhere.

The error code I get is 0x8004210B. I have all the add-ins disabled, and the outgoing port is 25. I'm running bit defender as my A/V program, but not sure what settings to change in it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    See here: You receive a 0x8004210B operation time-out error message when you choose to send a read receipt notification in Outlook 2000 or in Outlook 2003

Feb 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
    I have Outlook 2003. The send a read receipt is coincidental. They are automatically sent when the original sender requests it. I get the error message with any mail I try to send.

Feb 17, 2008, 12:31 AM
    Notrihills,

Please read you own original post thoroughly. It clearly indicates that you have a "hidden read receipt." Now, that hidden receipt is trying to send on every launch of your outgoing email and it is failing as described in the Microsoft bulletin. The fix is also described in the Microsoft bulletin as well. However, if you are not looking to fix this problem permanently, you can try this stop-gap measure to delete that hidden receipt (which keeps trying to resend) and that should free-up your outgoing mail connection (until you get the next request for a read receipt):
    Delete Read Receipts using OutlookSpy

Feb 17, 2008, 03:12 AM
    Thanks! That corrected the hidden receipt issue.

How do I fix the original problem of not being able to send mail? I tried to send an e-mail to myself as a test, and now I get a 0x80042109 error message.

Feb 17, 2008, 03:52 AM
    Here is Microsoft's bulletin for troubleshooting several Outlook errors (including your latest error 0x80042109)
    How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express
    Sathyan_nair Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 06:19 PM
    In Outlook, Go to Tools --> Options --> E-mail Options --> Tracking Options
    And check on "Never send a response" or "Ask me before sending a response"
    As you want to opt.
    Hope this Helps.

Sathyan :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Send/Receive Stopped Functioning in Outlook 2003. [ 1 Answers ]

... and another email notification/read program called ePrompter. Both retrieve to my inbox from Gmail and other servers, but not from/to my Earlink account (ix.netcom.com). Before the malfunction, I had installed Adobe Acrobat and Spy Sweeper updates. Thanks.

Can't receive email in Outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I can't receive mail on my laptop in Outllook 2003 . . When send and receive button is pressed, if there is outgoing mail it will be sent however nothing else happen. Early days I did once get a message about '... layer.. missing', but I've not been able to recreate this message. Or another time...

Must hit send/rec to receive email in outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am new to this site so please bear with me as I learn. My question is: I set a friend up with a linksys router on his desktop, and set up email accts. For he and his wife, in outlook 2003 on his laptop. Laptop connects to internet fine (wirelessly), sends email automatically when...

I couldn't send and receive email from outlook 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem to send and receive email from outlook 2003 behind a linksys router. I configured my outlook 2003 auto send & receive email in every 1 min. When outlook starts send & receive process, It would pop up a window asking me Enter Network Password. When I click OK, it keeps pop up again...

View more questions Search