Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smc Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Can I claim home addition costs?
    Hi,
    During the last year I paid for the following. I would like to know if I can claim for any of the following payments on my tax returns:

1)Motor vehicle License renewal fees
    2)Bought a used car and paid for its registration to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
    3)Paid $89000 home(residence) addition costs to a contractor.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Hello smc:

1) maybe
    2) maybe
    3) no

excon
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smc
    Hi,
    During the last year I paid for the following. I would like to know if I can claim for any of the following payments on my tax returns:

1)Motor vehicle License renewal fees
    2)Bought a used car and paid for its registration to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
    3)Paid $89000 home(residence) addition costs to a contractor.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Home improvement cost will increase your cost basis. Keep the receipts; you will need them when you sell the house. Now, you don't get any deduction.

About 1 and 2: A part of your expenses are deductible, but only as itemize deductions. You will itemize only when your itemized deduction are more than your standard deduction.
    So if you are going to itemize, then post it here so that I can provide your more info.
    smc Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I am itemizing my deductions as they are more than standard deduction. Thanks once again.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Feb 16, 2008, 06:19 PM
    If you made some energy efficient improvements to your house there is an energy credit up to $500 that you can claim. A credit is better than a deduction. It's like real cash.
    Go to Internal Revenue Service and search for home energy credit. It will give you a list of things, and the rebate amount. This credit is only good for 2006 and 2007.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smc
    Thanks for the replies. I am itemizing my deductions as they are more than standard deduction. Thanks once again.
    Personal property tax is deductible if it is a state or local tax that is:
    *Charged on personal property,
    *Based only on the value of the personal property, and
    *Charged on a yearly basis, even if it is collected more or less than once a year.

A tax that meets the above requirements can be considered charged on personal property even if it is for the exercise of a privilege. For example, a yearly tax based on value qualifies as a personal property tax even if it is called a registration fee and is for the privilege of registering motor vehicles or using them on the highways.

If the tax is partly based on value and partly based on other criteria, it may qualify in part.

Publication 17: Your Individual Income tax, Chapter 22--Taxes; Personal Property Taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting Sales Price Variable Material Costs Fixed Monthly Costs [ 0 Answers ]

I have no clue where to begen with this, I could use some help! Its due on Friday night and the teacher as done nothing to help here. I'm totally lost. The individual portion of this assignment is for each person to produce his/her own solution to the following. Claire’s Antiques has fixed cost...

Step variable costs vs fixed costs [ 1 Answers ]

step variable costs vs fixed costs

Can I claim deductions in US on Indian Home Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a US Permanent Resident and am planning to buy a house in India with loan taken from an Indian Bank. I want to know if I can claim deduction in US for this mortgage payment. Thanks Mahesh

New home addition -home equity loan or remortgage [ 1 Answers ]

I am 54yrs old and have only 3 yrs left on mortgage.. I want to put on a new addition to house and looks like I will have to borrow $80,000.. Do I want to do home equity or remortgage? I would like to retire in 11 yrs or less

New addition on home [ 5 Answers ]

What do I need to know when before I talk to contractors? I am putting on an addition to my ranch style home and I feel like I am clueless. Please help.

View more questions Search