Ask
    Totally Screwed Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Feb 16, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Are Italians considered Latinos?
    Are Latinos considered Latinos?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Are Italians considered Latinos? No. Why would they be? Their heritage is not from the same country.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 10:49 AM
    No
    in a state Posts: 80, Reputation: 12

Apr 10, 2008, 05:38 PM
    They are the original Latin people
    The French are Latin too,as well as the Spaniards,the Portuguese,the Romanians...
    Latin Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apr 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by in a state
    They are the original Latin people
    the French are Latin too,as well as the Spaniards,the Portugese,the Romanians...
    Latin Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I would not use Wikipedia as a bonified source of information. It is written and edited by amateurs so the information is usually a little biased. I totally disagree with your opinion that the French are considered Latino. Absolutely NOT!:rolleyes:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Latino as used today in the US have nothing to do with people in Europe.
    And also Wikipedia is of no real value, one can add or change things in there if they want, Heck they even list me as a major Church leader in my faith

Apr 10, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Exactly my point. I also agree with you that the term Latino has lost it's original meaning in the United States. It is used to describe the true Latinos but also hispanics etc.:)
    in a state Posts: 80, Reputation: 12

Apr 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Pardon me
    I did not know that there was a difference between ''latino'' and ''latin''
    I thought they meant the same thing
    I'm not from the US,I'm European
    And that's what they taught me in school,that the French,Portuguese,Spaniards,Romanians are of Latin descend.the Italians were Latins,but then the Roman Empire conquered the lands and so the languages and cultures mixed-latinisation-/romanization-there the descend
    And judging by the fact that America was discovered by the Europeans and most of the countries in South America were European colonies.. I did not see a difference between Latin and Latino;) if by 'Latino' you mean Mexican sor Argetines(Spanish descend),then no,Italians are not Latinos
    JH123 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2008, 03:46 AM
    No,they aren't .
    French are not latinos,too.
    NERO123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 02:15 PM
    Generally, in the USA, when the "o" is added onto the end of the word (or the "a"), as in "Latino" or "Latina", it has come today to indicate the racially / ethnically mixed peoples of central and South America, or the Caribbean islands (Cuba, PR, DR), most of whom happen to speak Spanish as their first language. But "Hispanic" is a much broader category, as is "Latin".

For "Hispanic" also encompasses all the (primarily) Caucasian / white peoples of Spain, just the same as it would include a Mexican-Indian or a Guatemalan who happen to speak Spanish as a result of historical conquest.

The European (or Euro-descended person of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, southern French, descent) may well be called a "Latin" (as all of them have been since the Roman Empire), but (in the USA at least) would not generally be called a "Latin-O".

Regardless, they all do share the commonality of speaking (or at least having parents or grandparents who spoke) a Latin/Romance language, as well as probably having grown up in a , so to speak, "Latin culture" (eg, Roman Catholic religion, certain lifestyle factors in common, etc).

In the US, it's become very confusing ever since the census started using the two terms together "Hispanic/Latino" in the early 1970's. In many cases, many of the peoples from Mexico , or other parts of central or south America, or the Caribbean, to be more accurate would be better off placing on a census form for example "Mixed Race" as opposed to the gov't having them use "Hispanic". Because "Hispanic" is just too broad a category, which covers all Spanish speakers in the world, and therefore does not truly indicate a race. And "Latin", again particularly minus the "o" at the end, has traditionally indicated both Latin Europeans and Latin Americans.

(And incidentally, Latin America originally got that name from a Latin European -- Napoleon -- who took to calling it Amerique Latine to distinguish the Latin, Catholic sphere of influence in the "new world" from the Anglo Protestant sphere of influence. The US gov't began calling it that later on after the Spaniards lost their colonial holdings in this hemisphere. Prior to that it had been called in the US, "Spanish-America").

Mexicans however, in Mexico, tend to often refer to ALL North Americans as "Anglos" or "nortenos" , etc, but ... that's a big mistake and reflects a simple lack of understanding on their part that the only real "Anglos" here are Americans who are of English (or Anglo-Saxon) descent.

Domenic0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 12:01 AM
    Italians are latino. Latino just means latin in italian (as well as spanish, and in portugese). I guess in america it refers to people that are from spanish-speaking countries and spain, but because Italy is part of europe, they are just considered white. But technically, so is Spain, so then people from Spain are technically white, not latino (or latin). Being latino is an ethninticity, not a race. I learned this in school, I'm not making it up. Italians, Portuguese, spanish, romanians as well as french are considered Euro-Latino that are from mixed racial backgrounds, people from South America are Latin Americans that are from mixed racial backgrounds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are Italians? [ 7 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this is the right category but I was wondering if Italians were considered Latins or Latinos?

Is it considered abuse? [ 32 Answers ]

Ok so I'm 13 and my moms on-and-off-again "bf" has been touching me. He is 52 but he has only done it a few times. I'm pretty sure @ least 1 or 2 of the times he was kind of drunk though. He has even done it when I was standing right next to my mom, she didn't even notice. OK so I haven't said no...

Is this considered unfit? [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that someone I was friends with for 10 years is a prostitute and she has a 9 month old baby. She leaves her baby with whoever will watch her, sometimes for days at a time. She also lives in a 2 bedroom house that currently has about 8 people living in it. Would this make her an...

Can these be considered in returns [ 4 Answers ]

1)My friends parents came to US to visit him and were here for a month or so. What are the returns he can ask for while filing his tax returns? Can he ask for returns on their travel tickets from home country to US? They also traveled within US. 2) My friend has been supporting his brother ( age...

View more questions Search