Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Feb 15, 2008, 08:23 PM
    Choosing your future
    How did you choose your career? I have no idea what to study or what career I want to go into in college. The subjects I like are the ones with the easiest teachers and they change each year. So how did you decide?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 08:27 PM
    In 4th grade, I decided I wanted to be a teacher. When I got to high school, I took the classes that would help me get into college and would add to my life.

Happy, do you have any hobbies? Do you like to work with your hands? Do you like to take things apart to find out how they work? Do you like to be with people? Do you like to meet people? Do you like to cook?

Tell us about yourself.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Write a list of everything you are good at and what you like best.
    Some categories could be cooking, art, music, typing, filing, computer stuff,
    Are you good at multitasking, organizing, supervising,

You could maybe take a year or two and find work that involves things you like and then you can see if it is something you would like further experience in.

The Employment Times | Career Advisor - Dip in to Clarify Your Career Goals
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Feb 17, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Well I have absolutely no artistic ability, and I can not cook. I guess computers interest me and I would probably prefer to work with people.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 03:09 PM
    If I could do it over again, I would go to a community college (inexpensive!) and get the basic courses out of the way. If I'm thinking computers are in my future, I would take as much math and maybe science as I could. Of course, I would also take basic computer classes and keyboarding (touch typing).

Those courses would set things up for a move to finishing with a bachelor's at a four-year college. If the computer idea didn't interest me any longer, I might have taken a class such as psych or physics that really turned me on to another career possibility.

I would have gone to the community college's career center and taken at least one interest test and probably the Myers-Briggs in order to find out what interests me and what kind of a personality (outgoing or intuitive or... ) I have.

How does that sound?
    1headphones1 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 10:27 PM
    How old are you?
    What grade are you in?
    Try to work in several diff jobs... and see mayb what you like/dislike..
    For example get a job in a hospital.. then mayb work as a data entry guy or something with programming(computers)... then mayb get a job at a law office.. etc
    See what interests u.. and make sure that career can make you a decent living
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Do what you like.
    Or start taking the basics in college and go from there. I though I wanted to be a writer, but I'm a biology major. Some people change their majors five or six times before they decide.
    Maybe even try taking one of those job quizzes, sometimes they're stupid. But, they might help you a little.

Feb 17, 2008, 10:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    do what you like.
    or start taking the basics in college and go from there. I though I wanted to be a writer, but I'm a biology major. Some people change their majors five or six times before they decide.
    Maybe even try taking one of those job quizzes, somtimes they're stupid. But, they might help you a little.

Lol I'm actually a biology major(so I can apply to med or pharm school) and I hate it.. doin it to please parents..

Thinking of changing to poli sci..
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Well, health care is where the big money is going to be for the next 25-30 years. Maybe there's a corner in biology that would interest you?

Why poli sci?

Feb 17, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Yeah that's the reason my parents want me to do it the money..
    And its not like its huge money.. like I own a house on an island or private jet money lol

But I know those routes(med or pharm) are good routes,.
    But the thing is they don't interest me and I hate science classes..
    Also med school is def. not me because I don't want to spend an extra 7-10 yrs in school then work 50-60hrs a week on top of that and deal with insurance companies etc

But poli sci because I'm interested in world affairs.. and I'd like to then receive my MS in international affairs and maybe work in an embassy or be an ambassador or do something where I mayb make some changes or have a say in what's going on in the world..

Or more so of a "say" then I do now
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Can you combine the bio/med/pharm with the poli sci somehow? That would be an awesome combination!

Feb 18, 2008, 01:02 AM
    Probably in some form..
    But to be honest.. my interest in bio/med/pharm is very little.. lol
    Even though I'll probably force myself to do it.. but we'll see... I'd really like to do something that I'm interested in
    But yeah that would be a cool combo and I'm sure lot of people do work for pharmaceutical companies lobbyin for something..
    Or something else..

What do you wondergirl (occupation)?
    Hope that's not too private of a question.. : /
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1headphones1
    what do you wondergirl (occupation)?
    I started as a teacher, became a librarian, and do counseling and writing on the side. So you see, I've combined several fields that work well together.

Feb 18, 2008, 02:21 PM
    That's cool...

Yeah I'd combine bio/pharm wit poli sci but I don't have any interest in bio/pharm/med what so ever... lol so combining them is far from my mind

But it could happen.. by accident

I didn't know that they had a masters in library degree..
    So I was surprised.. that's cool though
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 23, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1headphones1
    yeah thats the reason my parents want me to do it the money..
    and its not like its huge money..like i own a house on an island or private jet money lol

but i kno those routes(med or pharm) are good routes,..
    but the thing is they dont interest me and i hate science classes..
    also med school is def. not me because i dont want to spend an extra 7-10 yrs in school then work 50-60hrs a week on top of that and deal with insurance companies etc

but poli sci bc im interested in world affairs..and i'd like to then recieve my MS in international affairs and maybe work in an embassy or be an ambassador or do something where i mayb make some changes or have a say in whats goin on in the world..

or more so of a "say" then i do now

You want to have a say in the world but you don't even have a say in your own life. If you don't like the med or pharm route DON'T DO IT! It is your life, live your life your way. I'm sure your parents mean well. They just want to rest assured that when they are gone that you are fully self sufficient. I'm a parent. I would like to know my kids were doing well too, before I kick the bucket. BUT, money isn't everything. Self satisfaction means a lot.

Mar 3, 2008, 08:33 PM
    U make a good point@cozyk
    Yeah I was trying to push myself to do it but its just not working out..
    I'm probably going to make the change next semester..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name choosing [ 3 Answers ]

I need boys names and girls that would suit a last name Wilkie

Using future value of single amount, future value of annuity table. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, my question is how do you know when to use the Future of value of single amount table, and when to use the future value of annuity table?

Choosing a camera [ 2 Answers ]

I'm really interested in photography not as a profession just as a hobby.I capture pics of nature and I really don't know which camera I should choose from so many brands and models.

Choosing parents [ 2 Answers ]

How old do you have to be to choose what parent you live with

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

View more questions Search