Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renee35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Court ordered visitation
    I have refused to keep my child. She is 15 years old. My ex-husband went to court and got some kind of court orders for me to have visitation. The orders state that I was sent a letter for this hearing I never received such a letter. Do I have to follow these orders to visit my child if I do not wish too or can I relinquish my parental rights?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Failure to perform what is ordered in a court order can give your ex grounds to hold you in contempt. Have you read the order? Have you been ordered to pay child support?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 07:00 PM
    I dobt the court has "ordered" you to vist, but that the court has allowed you a time to visit. Normally you are not required to visit during your visit times, but failure to do so, can normally allow the child's custodial parent to use this against you. You most likely can not sign over your rights, It sounds like he went to court to get custody, and to get child support ordered, You will have to pay the ordered child support
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
    The courts don't "order" you to visit. As Chuck said, they have ordered that you be allowed certain times to visit. You don't have to exercise those rights if you don't want to (although I don't know who wouldn't want to be with their child).
    You will most likely be ordered to pay child support as well... that, you DO have to do regardless if you choose to see your child or not... you are still responsible for supporting them.
    You cannot relinquish your parental rights unless the father is in agreement and has a current spouse that is willing to adopt the child in your place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother doesn't allow court ordered visitation [ 29 Answers ]

I'm engaged to a man that has a 6 year old daughter. Because of the mother, he didn't see his daughter from the time she was almost 2 until she was over 4 years old. He finally got to speak with his daughter when she was almost 5 years old (by this time she didn't know he existed) because the...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court ordered visitation [ 1 Answers ]

Court ordered that I would have visitation every other weekend and on wednesdays. Here's the issue. I am currently in a shelter. Meaning I don't have a place for my daughter to spend the nights with me. Because I can't she can't spend the night my soon to be ex says that I can't get her the next...

Court ordered Mediation vs Court Trial [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm going into a mediation next month concerning a past credit card debt that I am being sued for. I plan on using the SOL defense as the date of last activity falls past the statute date. Anyhow, I was wondering what the difference between a Court ordered mediation and a normal...

Court ordered visitation [ 51 Answers ]

Can the mother of my child make it so that my parents cannot pick up my child for the time till I get home from work? Court order states that I get him for a mid week visit.

View more questions Search