Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    houseofbender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
    What to look for when purchasing a power generator
    I'm building a emergency home kit and will be purchasing a portable generator for this kit. I'm looking at a 2.4 hp 1000 watt max/960 rated generator, I'm not sure if a 120v, 8 amp ac receptacle can run anything larger than a handtool. Is there some kind of listing of what can be operated and how large the generator should be?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Select the Right Portable Generator after a Disaster

The generator must be able to source the starting current of a motor load.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
    A 1000 watt generator is really not large enough to run anything.

I had a 5000 and it would run the fan on a gas heater, the fridge and a few lights and TV and video. Assumeing gas stove. Also depending on the run time, you may want to consider finding one to run on propane instead of gasoline,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 10:49 AM
    You have some good responses here. You can get a better answer if you tell us what you hope to accomplish with an emergency generator. 1000 watts may help you survive, 12,000 watts may run your home completely.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Yes, we need to know what you are considering running. Look on the bottom of a coffee pot for instance, just a general cheap coffee pot can use 900 watts. If you are only using a 1000 watt generator, don't expect any light to be able to see your coffee cup with.
    houseofbender Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Thanks for the responses. Assuming a natural disaster or power outage (Whidbey Is. Wa 1992) for over 72 hrs. Occupying a 15X20 room and running a small space heater, 100 watt light and perhaps a two burner electric stove. A radio or small T.V. The 5000 wt generator sounds about the right size I guess. The physical size for storage and weight becomes a issue for ease with the wife and kids. I thank you all for your ideas.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Small space heater 1000 to 1500 watt is not going to heat much, esp after entire house around it, starts dropping in temp. Really consider some form or propane backup heat, esp in colder areas.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Do you have a regular furnace, you can power that with your generator with less juice than that space heater. Add up all the wattages you think you may use. Electric motors can pull up to 4x the running amperage to start from a dead stop so count that too but set your thermostat fan to ON rather than AUTO.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Use inverter to increase power output of a generator [ 7 Answers ]

Hello does anyone know if it is practical or even possible to amplify the power of a small generator using a large watt inverter? Say you have a 2 or 3 HP 1000 watt generator and you hook it up to a 5000 watt inverter. What kind of power will you be NOW able to generate? Doesn't the horse power of...

Generator power output cuts in and out [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a Coleman Generator a few months ago and I have it connected to an inverter. The inverter is connected also to 16 "deep cycle" batteries and usually powers the house from solar panels. Everything has been working terrific until last night when the generator began cutting in and out. It...

Purchasing [ 9 Answers ]

Hi first post, was looking up that chair cover forum. I'm so worried sent this company large amount of money I've heard no response for them. Has anyone used them before.:confused:

View more questions Search