Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supportive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
    An local newspaper published a libelous article about my husband
    Recently a paper where we live published an article about my husband. It made many claims, but the most insidious was that he had falsified a document and signed another person's name. Not only did he not do this but we have the copies of the board of directors minutes showing the man claiming he didn't sign the documents did if fact sign them. The entire board stands behind my husband, but the newspaper either did not contact these people, or choose not to print their comments. The paper went on to print pictures of our home and our address. I now have neighbors calling asking what is going on. On went so far as to say it goes to show you just never know what lies in peoples souls! Can a paper be sued for this outlandish and reckless behavior? My husbands reputation and livelihood are damaged. My children are being ridiculed and many of my neighbors look the other way when they see me outside.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by supportive
    Recently a paper where we live published an article about my husband. It made many claims, but the most insidious was that he had falsified a document and signed another person's name. Not only did he not do this but we have the copies of the board of directors minutes showing the man claiming he didn't sign the documents did if fact sign them. The entire board stands behind my husband, but the newspaper either did not contact these people, or choose not to print their comments. The paper went on to print pictures of our home and our address. I now have neighbors calling asking what is going on. On went so far as to say it goes to show you just never know what lies in peoples souls! Can a paper be sued for this outlandish and reckless behavior? My husbands reputation and livelihood are damaged. My children are being ridiculed and many of my neighbors look the other way when they see me outside.

If it stated what it said were FACTS but they were untrue allegations then, yes, you have a lawsuit.

If the paper used the words "alleged" or anything similar it (unfortunately for you) it boils down to freedom of the press and you have no lawsuit.

I will mention now that it's front page news if it's resolved and your husband was absolutely, positively not at fault that will be mentioned in teeny tiny print W-A-A-Y in the back of the paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding x-intercepts, local maximum, local minimum of graph [ 5 Answers ]

How do I find the x-intercepts, local maximums, and local minimums of this graph --> f(x)=1/9(x-3)^2(x+3)^2 using a graphing calculator?

Lithograph published by J. Stiner 1876 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a very nice lithograph titled "The School Examination" that was published by J. Stiner in 1876. I can't find anything on this publisher or the lithograph itself. I know some about prints and this one is masterfully done. Executed in 1876. Please help with any information.

Getting published?Where to next. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, I have written a couple of children's books as well as a novel and was wondering what to do now? Do I approach publishing companies with the books (which are not as yet books so to speak just printed ideas) do I need to format them in a specific way? Also do I need the illustrations...

Hey found an article about first loves and loves in my local paper, might interest you! [ 2 Answers ]

Love Story (from Bournemouth Echo) Might interest you, :P Nothing amazing but its sweet, a book is listed there some may be interetsed in.

View more questions Search