Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jodywunder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
    OK to replace a 20A GFI with a 15A GFI?
    I have two GFI outlets in my kitchen. I am replacing them w/another color. The new color are only available in 15A, while the ones I am replacing are 20A. The only thing I plug into them are toasters, coffee pots, and mixers... not sure if the lower amp has anything to do with the ground fault protection. Any ideas?

On the same topic, can I replace a 15A light switch with a 20A switch?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 01:07 PM
    Q1: You would need to change the breaker too to a 15 A.
    You could just replace the breaker with a 20 A GFCI breaker and use a 15 or 20 A standard outlet.

Q2: Switches rated at a higher amperage is always OK.

What you can use is based on wire gauge: 12 AWG and 14 AWG can have 15 Amp breakers.

12 AWG usually has a 20 amp breaker

Switches have to be rated equal or higher than the load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it gfi? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I know if an outlet found on the outside of a garage is GFI? Thanks

Replace with GFI [ 1 Answers ]

To install a gfi receptical do I just replace the old one with a gfi one, and wire the same way?

15A vs. 20A on #12 Romex [ 10 Answers ]

We are running #12 Romex wire for circuits from the panel. I want some of the breakers in the panel to be 15amp and some to be 20amp. My electrician says that they should all be 20amo because #12 Romex is code for 20 amps. I said sure but it shouldn't matter is we go smaller than code (i.e....

15A off a 20A junction [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to take a single 15A line off a 20A branch circuit. Specifically, I have a new 20A kitchen wall circuit which will exist only of two 20A counter GFCI outlets. I have had to rework that wall for the gas stove and want to run a 15A outlet for the gas stove electrics. Can I just take a 15A...

Gfi [ 1 Answers ]

Why won't my GFI let me reset it? It has been fine with the christmas lights until today.

View more questions Search