Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wailman Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 01:23 AM
    Settlement charges, how to claim on federal taxes?
    Hello, I am not sure how to claim and what I can claim for settlement charges for my house. I was charged...

300 processing fee
    345 application fee
    1500 broker fee
    65 tax service
    50 funding fee
    595 underwriting fee
    -38.12 interest
    595 insurance premium for the year
    25 doc prep fee
    40 notary fees
    708.75 title insurance
    200 end fees
    20 wire fees
    15 overnight fee
    103 recording fee
    35 closing protection letter
    50 certification reimbursmenet
    12 flood search fee
    4620.63 grand total of fees for settlement

I bought this tax cut program, but it does not allow me or ask me for these things. Where and what documents would these things be accounted for? Are they allowed to be accounted for at all? I looked on the IRS website and it says something about "basis", but I can only find information about basis for seller, nothing about basis for buyer. Not quite sure where to go from here. Anyone have any thoughts?

Settlement was at the end of '05, so I was told that I would be able to claim them, but not sure where...

Thank you for looking, and I look forward to ANY help that anyone would have...

Chris
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Chris:

For a personal home, none of these fees are deductible. The $38 in interest is deductible, but that will be included on the Form 1098 you get from the original mortgage broker.

The remaining $4,582 can be added to the basis on your house for tax computations when you sell the house. Unfortunately, this does not reduce your 2005 taxes.

Jan 23, 2006, 07:37 AM
    EXCELLENT!

Thank you for the help. This may explain why I did not find anything. I was told by someone that I could claim some of these costs. I did not quite believe them. Now I see why...

Thanks again!

Chris
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Glad to help!

Jan 23, 2006, 02:39 PM
    It says that I will not get any more responses if I do not reply. So I guess I need to reply to get any other responses...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

Do I need to claim a 1099-R on PA State Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Do I need to claim a 1099-R form on my PA state taxes? The withdrawl was a normal deduction of an IRA. Thank you.

Do I file federal taxes if I didn't paid any [ 4 Answers ]

Do I file fereal taxes if I have not paid any I only for 3 months but only for one day a week (71/2 hours a days for 3 months ) I been on LOA for a year . I filed in 2004 (work until I went on Medical leave) I have 2 children so that why they didn't take any federal...

F1 opt claim ssn and medicare taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Country of origin: syria I have been in the US since August 2001 on F1 visa. Only left the US for 30 days in August 2002(been in the us since then).. Started my OPT on July 2004. Then started working for a company... Offcourse they deducted SSN, medicare taxes from my paychecks.. ...

View more questions Search