Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ansil94 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 09:47 AM
    How to score marks in maths
    RESPECTED SIR/MADAM

I am trying my level best in maths to score marks but I am able to score only 60 out of 100. There is no improvement . So I want a solution for this
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Study?

Can you hire a tutor?

Do practice problems, repeat homework problems, and look for online sites that offer practice/test problems that you can practice on.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Do you always show your workings in the test? You can gain extra marks by having th correct method but not necessarily ending up with the correct answer. I was never naturally talented at maths but I found this and practicing problems really helped. Get a good grip of the basics and then learn how to recognise simple sums given in a more complicate way.

I also had to do a damage limitation plan- I realised some aspects I would never get so I would work extra hard on the easier stuff to make sure I wouldn't drop the easy marks and perhaps concentrate less on the really difficult example which were a smaller proportion of the exams.

60% isn't all bad you are almost there just start by working out common mistakes in your tests and work on them. Are there certain things you always drop marks on? Get your teacher to go through with you why and how you have got a question wrong. A good teacher should be able to spot where it is you are going wrong. If they can't see if your parents can afford a private tutor or get an older student in the school to give you lunchtime tuition.

Good Luck
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 11:39 PM
    You also want to try to understand why something is the way it is, rather than just memorizing how to do particular problems. The ones on the test may not exactly match the kind you did in homework. If you just memorize steps (i.e. plug n chug), then it's difficult to do problems that look different, and also to apply it to new things. Math builds on itself. It's very abstract to most people because it's just a lot of numbers flying around in the air. Sometimes you have to learn to "see" math -- like literally see how things are relating to each other. Might sound silly, but draw pictures of the stuff.

Also, something I've found to be very important is learning what the instructions mean. I find a lot of times people mess up on tests, not necessarily because they don't know how to do it, but because they did not understand what they were supposed to do with the problem. I don't know what level you're at, so I don't know if you'll understand my example. But for instance in algebra, I notice lots of students never really get the idea of what an equation is versus an expression, so they try to apply rules for one to the other. I tutor professionally myself and I see this type of thing a lot, so I make sure I go over this stuff and go over the instructions and try to make sure the student understands what is being asked for.

Unforunately, there isn't a magic wand we can wave and just solve the problem. Learning math isn't about reading -- it's about doing. I think the tutor is a great idea. (And not just because I do it. I do it cause I see that it works.) That way you can also find out exactly what the issue is: do you just not understand the material, do you not understand the instructions, or even, do you have anxiety about math? Math anxiety is very common and simply causes people to do worse on tests. (You may be able to see a councelor at the school if that's an issue.)
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Had to spread the rep morgaine but you hit the nail on the head with knowing what the qustion is asking!
    dflfdlgjhdf Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Do u add the units as well when writing the answer e.g cm, m, km, ml etc.
    Because if you don't, you can lose marks for that as well.
    maaka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 08:10 AM
    Maagai teri maa ko ja kar puch salla
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2010, 07:49 AM

maaka, we don't understand Hindi or Sanskrit here. Please, rephrase using english.
    bhavyaparu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 04:47 AM
    To score more marks in maths definations are very important in trignometry basic formulas should be memorised and recalling sums in home is very necessity be confident in exam hall
    Sleep well exams before night rest to your mind is more essential this is the tips by bhagyashree
    charishma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 11:07 PM
    First practice all the formulae and problems.practise maths daily for at least 2 hours..
    Just try to memorize the formulae which you have read.. just clarify your doubt as soon as possible.. don`t keep the work incomplete,.
    Be confident on your subject.all th best..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have problem with this question. Hope you can find a solution for this question. Philip, the proprietor of a vineyard, estimates at the first 10000 bottles of wine produce this season will fetch a profit of $5 per bottle. However, the profit from each bottle beyond 10000 drop by $0.0002...

Maths Puzzle [ 3 Answers ]

The Brightvale Institute of Technology needed new Maths books, so they ordered a new set from Brightvale Books. When they got the books back from the printers, however, they discovered that there had been a horrible mistake. Apparently the printer scrambled up all the digits in the printing...

Probability maths [ 1 Answers ]

I have 6 numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6 what is the probability that it is over 253000?

Advance maths [ 2 Answers ]

Need some help with vectors and functions or any website with these information relating to vectors and functions. VECTORS -addition, subtraction, and multiplication of vectors by a scalar -displacement and position vectors -magnitude of a vector -equal. Parallel and perpendicular vectors ...

View more questions Search