Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Sick after surgery
    Hey everyone,

So Ava got spayed yesterday. It really was hard on her. She was totally out of it when I picked her up, she could hardly walk :(

I got her home and read the post op instructions. They gave her 3 days worth of pain meds and said I could offer her half the amount of food she normally eats, the night after surgery.

We she won't eat... at all. I could understand that right after surgery, but she hasn't eaten today yet either. She wouldn't even take water. She got sick, and took water after she got sick, but within about 20mins got sick again.

She has gotten sick 3-4 times. She will only take water if I bring it to her, but ever since she got sick after drinking it, she won't take it at all.

I tried offering her vanilla ice cream but she won't take that either :(
    I don't want to give her pain meds on an empty stomach, because she will just throw it back up (she did that last night, so I wasted a pill). But I don't want her to be in pain :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    MasuBhat Posts: 128, Reputation: 3

Feb 15, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Hey everyone,

So Ava got spayed yesterday. It really was hard on her. She was totally out of it when I picked her up, she could hardly walk :(

I got her home and read the post op instructions. They gave her 3 days worth of pain meds and said I could offer her half the amount of food she normally eats, the night after surgery.

We she won't eat...at all. I could understand that right after surgery, but she hasn't eaten today yet either. She wouldn't even take water. She got sick, and took water after she got sick, but within about 20mins got sick again.

She has gotten sick 3-4 times. She will only take water if I bring it to her, but ever since she got sick after drinking it, she won't take it at all.

I tried offering her vanilla ice cream but she won't take that either :(
    I don't want to give her pain meds on an empty stomach, because she will just throw it back up (she did that last night, so I wasted a pill). But I don't want her to be in pain :(

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    *:did the doctor told you that this may happen after [spayed? ] if they did than don't worry.. even if you still are worried than counsul the doctor for more information.

*:if the doctor didn't told you this than consul the doctor Emieadeatly! <sorry for the wrong speling>
    vettek04 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Hopefully you called your vet, sometimes anesthesia may cause dogs to have vomiting and or diarrhea, it is very common for dogs not to eat the night after surgery sometimes event he morning after. Dogs who have been through a heat cycle may recover slower from surgery due to more development of the female organs( therefore more difficult surgery). Some dogs will have a reaction the pain medication, such as vomiting or diarrhea (commonly used are NSAID for pain releif), ONLY if your vet oks it you maybe could try a bland diet for a few days (boiled chicken and rice or a Rx diet from your vet), table food such as ice cream is never a good idea. Also there are effective anti vomiting meds available at your vet. Always with a vomiting dog, only offer very small amount of food and water at a time, you don't want to stress her tummy out with a huge bowl of water or food. Please contact you vet though, dogs usually are feeling better the day after surgery
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Feb 15, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Dogs are generally lactose intolerant. Your dog is already dealing with an upset stomach. Please do not give your dog rich foods or table scraps trying to tempt her. The vet can suggest a bland diet to settle her stomach while on the pain meds and healing.
    Poor Ava has gone through a lot in the past few months! I hope she recovers quickly. Are all the pups in their new homes? :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Well I wasn't trying to tempt her with ice cream. The assistant said to put her pain pill in vanilla ice cream and she would take it easier than just trying to feed her the pill. Ava gets no table food ever. She has had chicken broth and vanilla ice cream only, and that was only when she was delivering the puppies.

She finally drank a bit of water today, and she has eaten about a 1/2-1 cups of food today. So far she hasn't gotten sick again. Hopefully she will start eating more.

She has been through a lot these past 4 months... going into a pound, me rescuing her, then finding out she was pregnant, delivering 9 puppies, and now getting spayed... the poor girl hasn't had time to just relax in her home :(

Yes, all the puppies found GREAT homes! I get updated on them regularly :D Thanks for asking :)

Thanks everyone for the advice... hopefully she will feel better soon and then be able to enjoy her home!
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Have you tried the pill pockets? My dog likes them, and it makes giving pills much easier.

Other than that, I'd call the vet and ask what they think about the situation. It seems a bit odd to me, but may still be within the "normal" range of results.
    MasuBhat Posts: 128, Reputation: 3

Feb 16, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Hehe.. some how ididn't know that you were talking about a PUPPY><.. hehe
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    Have you tried the pill pockets? My dog likes them, and it makes giving pills much easier.

Other than that, I'd call the vet and ask what they think about the situation. It seems a bit odd to me, but may still be within the "normal" range of results.
    No, I haven't tried them. I just put the pill in the back of her mouth and hold her mouth up so she swallows it. Her first pill went down easy this way, her second one she became wise too and was able to push it out of her mouth with her tongue like 10 times! Haha but she only has one pain pill left... so we should be able to manage. :)

hehe.. some how ididn't know that you were talking about a PUPPY><.. hehe
    I'm not talking about a puppy. Ava is about 2 years old.

She has been doing a lot better. She is starting to eat a bit more. Still having trouble going up stairs, so I have to keep her bed downstairs, but at least she is eating more :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy very sick [ 12 Answers ]

I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were...

After surgery [ 3 Answers ]

I got one simple, quick question: COuld a persons attitude change drastically after a surgery? My boyfriend has a surgery about a week ago, and his attitude/personality or what have you, has completely changed, like completely. He was always a smart a**, you know constantly making smart...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

Do I need surgery? [ 3 Answers ]

I see many questions regarding dark undereye circles. The answer. Use agood concealer. But can any one help with under eye bags. As most concealers only make the problem more noticeable. I've tried so many products,sleeping with a high pillow. But nothing seems to work. Is the only solution...

NO to Surgery! [ 2 Answers ]

I am a black female with horrible stretch marks on my hips. I am very young so I love the low rise jeans, but I can not wear them because of my problem areas. I went to a dermatologist and he suggested plastic surgery, I have seen creams that reduce the appearance of strech marks, but I would like...

View more questions Search